1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed Air Energy Storage

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I am trying to model temperature variation with time of compressed air energy storage in a salt cavern. For now I have considered a spherical (hollow) cavern in which air is injected. I have to solve {T}+[M]{T_dot}={Q} (here, Q is the first term and all other entries are zero).

My question:

I am trying to get an expression for Q as a function of time. It will constitute (heat from injection + heat from convection + heat from conduction through the rock mass), right?
    Only heat from conduction through the rock mass is time dependent in my expression.
    Q_inj = m_dot*Cp*(Tinj-Tair)
    Q_conv = A*h*(T_cav.wall-Tair)
    Q_cond = V*rho*c*(Tinit-Tamb)*exp(-t/k); k = rho*c/k

{T}, the temp vector, and time span would be given. I just want to know if my expressions above are right. If you could help me with this, it would be really great.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted