Compressed air help (adiabatic processes)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy that can be extracted from a compressed air system using an adiabatic process. The equations used for this calculation were taken from Wikipedia and the volume and pressure values of the system were given. The final result was a value of 1MJ for the work done, with a correction made for a previous calculation error.
sikatriz

Homework Statement

i'm trying to work out how much energy can be extracted from a compressed air system using an adiabatic process. given how small scale the system is(an most likely unrealistic), the values for the energy that can be extracted seem very high from my calculations.

Homework Equations

these equations were taken from wikipedia (hopefully not my first error) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process#Derivation_of_discrete_formula

(P2/P1) = (V2 / V1)-[tex]\gamma[/tex]

work done = P1V1[tex]\gamma[/tex]((V21-[tex]\gamma[/tex] - V11-[tex]\gamma[/tex]) / (1 - [tex]\gamma[/tex])) (last bit should read 1 minus gamma rather than 1 to the power minus gamma)

The Attempt at a Solution

the volume of the tank is 8.4cc and i want the air to be compressed to 3cc. initial pressure is 1 bar. [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 7/5

firstly i used equation 1 to find out the pressure when the air is compressed ie. P2,

P1 = 1e5
V1 = 8.4
V2 = 3

and found P2 = 422689 Pa

then to find out how much work can be extracted as the piston is pushed forward i used the second formula using

P1 = 422689
V1 = 3
V2 = 8.4
[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 7/5

putting these values into the formula i found a value of ~1MJ for the work done. is this right? if not where am i going wrong? thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT:i figured out the mistake i made. i had P1 in the first equation as 1 bar which should have been 1e5.

1. How does an adiabatic process affect compressed air?

An adiabatic process in compressed air refers to a process where there is no heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that the temperature of the compressed air will change as a result of compression or expansion, without any heat being added or removed from the system. This can lead to changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of the compressed air.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to compressed air?

The ideal gas law, also known as the universal gas law, describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It states that the product of the pressure and volume of a gas is directly proportional to the temperature and the number of moles of the gas. This law applies to compressed air, as the volume and temperature of the air will change as a result of compression or expansion, while the pressure remains constant.

3. How does an adiabatic process affect the efficiency of compressed air systems?

An adiabatic process can decrease the efficiency of compressed air systems as it causes an increase in temperature of the compressed air. This increase in temperature can lead to energy losses due to increased friction and heat transfer in the system. It is important for compressed air systems to be properly insulated and designed to minimize the effects of adiabatic processes.

4. Can the effects of adiabatic processes be prevented in compressed air systems?

While it is not possible to completely prevent adiabatic processes in compressed air systems, their effects can be minimized through proper system design and maintenance. This includes using appropriate insulation, ensuring proper lubrication and temperature control, and regularly monitoring and optimizing the system.

5. How can I calculate the changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of compressed air due to adiabatic processes?

The changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of compressed air due to adiabatic processes can be calculated using the ideal gas law and adiabatic processes equations. However, it is important to note that these calculations may not be completely accurate as they do not take into account factors such as heat transfer and friction. It is recommended to consult with an expert or use specialized software for accurate calculations.