1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed spring with work

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    The force required to compress an imperfect horizontal spring an amount x is given by F = 150x + 12x3, where x is in meters and F in newtons. If the spring is compressed 2.0m, what speed will it give to a 3.0 kg ball held against it and then released?

I know how to integrate F(x) to get the work done, and with that I could use the work-energy theorem to find the speed. But do I take the lower limit of the integral as x = 2.0 and the upper limit as x = 0?
    But then the integral would be negative and 1/2mv2 can't be negative...
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2
    Are you finding the work function by solving [tex] F = -\frac{dU}{dx}[/tex]? I would integrate from x=0 to x=x to find the general solution, but if you wanted to put in 2 right away then that would work. The negative thing depends on where you define your zero potential.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?