1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed spring

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    A glider of mass 0.13 kg moves on a horizontal frictionless air track. It is permanently attached to one end of a massless horiztonal spring, which has a force constant of 9.1 N/m for both extension and compression. The other end of the spring is fixed. The glider is moved to compress the spring by 0.14 m and then released from rest. Calculate the speed of the glider at the point where it has moved 0.25 m from its starting point.
    =0.055 J
    Is this the right way to solve for W before solving for the speed? I wasn't sure if I needed to subtract .25-.14 or not. So far I've been getting the wrong answer and want to know where I'm going wrong.

The equation I use to find speed is W=1/2mvf^2-1/2mvi^2
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To find the kinetic energy of the glider you must find the change in potential energy of the spring;

[tex]W = \frac{1}{2}kx_{i}^{2} - \frac{1}{2}kx_{f}^{2}[/tex]
  4. Oct 2, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not. the .25 m is there to inform you that the glider has moved beyond the spring entirely. The full amount of PE from the spring is now the KE of the glider (ideally speaking, of course).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?