1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed vertical spring

1. May 23, 2005 #1
    if a vertical spring is being compressed down, is the Elastic potential energy the only energy?

Ee = .5kx^2

is gravity included in that? or does it not play a role?

and how could I tell how far an object would fly up in the air once the spring is released?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2005 #2
    Thats the energy with regards to the spring's compression.
    The spring's potential energy will be translated to kinetic energy, how does gravity affect this energy/

4. May 23, 2005 #3
    well i know that the force of gravity will work against the kinetic energy...

I have an elastic potential energy of .2 J, so the kinetic energy will also be .2 J (up) ..

I know the mass of the item, and g, so I know that

Fg = mg

just not sure how to put the two together and get a height out of it.

5. May 23, 2005 #4
    express the gravitation in terms of energy, the .2J would result in a change of gravitational potential energy.

6. May 23, 2005 #5

ahh ok so,

.2J = mgh

and

h = .2J/mg

7. May 23, 2005 #6
    well i'm still a little confused, the equation E = mgh is still a potential energy equation, not the kinetic energy equation (E = .5mv^2)

is the above solution correct? (previous post)

8. May 23, 2005 #7
    What's confusing about it?
    The solution looks fine to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?