1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed water enthalpy

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Finding the enthalpy of water with the following known data:
    Water, temperature 45 degrees, pressure 1.2 bar

2. Relevant equations
    Q' = m'(steam) * h(gas) - m'(steam) - h(fluid)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need to find the enthalpy of water under the circumstances above, to calculate a quantity of heat transferred by condensing steam. However I seem to be unable to find the enthalpy of the fluid. All attempts to find the enthalpy, I end up with either tables of saturated water or compressed water at pressures way above 1.2bar. Anybody can help me with the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2
    Just look the values up in the steam tables.

I am assuming that you are using degree C because your pressure is in bars. From my copy of the NBS/NRC Steam Tables I have the following value.

h for compressed water is 188.51 kJ/kg @ 45 C and 1.2 bars.

You haven't specified at quality and you clearly do not have superheated steam because the saturation temperature @ 1.2 bar is 104.81 C and you are well below that temperature. Therefore, you have a liquid-vapor mixture which means that you need a quality value in order to determine the other enthalpy value that you need.

Do you follow?

Thanks
    Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook