Compressibility Factors of Gas

So, in summary, to calculate the volume of a gas in cubic feet using the ideal gas equation, you need to convert the given units to standard units (atm, mol, K) and then convert the final answer to cubic feet using the conversion factor 35.3147.
glocki35

Homework Statement

Calcualte the volumes in cubic feet of the gases in the attached chart, assuming the gases are ideal

Homework Equations

Ideal gas equation PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attached sheet also, this has my attempt, if i use my method and then use a separate calculation units wise and then convert both answers to the same unit format the answers i get everytime is different, this has me confused, my lecturers response was to 'check the example he did in class', i did not write it down

Attachments

• 20100722141554066.pdf
    914.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20100722151647913.pdf
    429.9 KB · Views: 163
Physics news on Phys.org
and i cannot find any examples online, can someone please help me?Assuming you are given the following information:1. Pressure (P) = 1 atm2. Number of moles (n) = 0.25 mol3. Temperature (T) = 300KThe ideal gas equation can be used to solve for the volume of the gas:V = nRT/P V = (0.25 mol) (8.314 J/mol K) (300K) / (1 atm)V = 5.9 LThe volume in cubic feet is calculated by converting the volume into cubic meters and then multiplying by 35.3147 to get the volume in cubic feet:V (ft3) = 5.9 L * (1 m3/1000 L) * (35.3147 ft3/m3)V (ft3) = 0.208 ft3

What is the compressibility factor of a gas?

The compressibility factor of a gas is a dimensionless quantity that represents the deviation of a real gas from the ideal gas behavior. It is defined as the ratio of the actual volume of a gas to the theoretical volume predicted by the ideal gas law at the same temperature and pressure.

How is the compressibility factor of a gas calculated?

The compressibility factor of a gas can be calculated using the following equation:
Z = PV/RT
where Z is the compressibility factor, P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What factors affect the compressibility of a gas?

The compressibility of a gas is affected by temperature, pressure, and the nature of the gas molecules. As temperature increases, the compressibility factor decreases. As pressure increases, the compressibility factor increases. Additionally, gases with larger and more polar molecules tend to have higher compressibility factors.

What is the significance of the compressibility factor in gas behavior?

The compressibility factor is significant in gas behavior because it helps to explain the deviations of real gases from ideal gas behavior. It is particularly useful in high pressure and low temperature conditions, where the ideal gas law fails to accurately predict the behavior of gases.

How is the compressibility factor used in engineering and industry?

The compressibility factor is used in engineering and industry to calculate the properties of gases under different conditions. It is particularly important in the design and operation of gas pipelines, where accurate predictions of gas behavior are necessary for safe and efficient transportation. The compressibility factor is also used in the production of natural gas and in the design of gas storage facilities.