Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressible Fluids: Getting Desired Volume/Mass Flow Rate

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1

jpx

I'm having trouble calculating the required pressure to get the desired volume flow rate (at outlet conditions). I'm no expert at compressible fluid systems, but I ended up being the one to design it...

The system must feed helium vertically through 3/8" ID, 112 ft long tubing (ID can vary, I just chose 3/8" for the availability of very lightweight tubing). The desired flow rate is 100 ft3/min or greater (Outlet Pressure = 0.1083 psig). It would be nice to maximize this and hit flow speeds of Mach 1 at the outlet.

So far, I have used Fanno Flow equations and found an inlet pressure of about 1.9 psig. The flow rate here came out to about 100 ft3/min. Does this pressure make sense? It seems a bit low to me... especially to hit Mach 1.

Am I headed in the right direction at least? If anyone has experience with this, any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted