Calculating Work Needed to Compress Spring

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, to compress the spring a distance 4.01 cm from its unstretched length, an amount of work of 20.7 J must be done.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

To stretch a spring a distance 2.96 cm from its unstretched length, an amount of work of 11.3 J must be done.

How much work must be done to compress this spring a distance 4.01 cm from its unstretched length?

I did this but am not sure if it is correct.

Us = 1/2K[tex]\Delta[/tex]X2

2.96cm = .0296m

4.01cm = .0401m

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X = .0105m

What do I do from here? Would Us = 11.3J?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using known amount of work done, using relevant equation, find the spring constant k.
Using this value of k, find the work done in the second case.

With the equation [tex]U_{s}=\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex], you know all but one value, k. Find out what it is. Then for the second part, you'll have all values except [tex]U_{s}[/tex]. which you can solve for.

11.3J = 1/2K(.0296m)2

K=25794 N/m but that is an insanely high number, so I do not think that is correct.

Regardless

[tex]
U_{s}=\frac{1}{2}kx^2
[/tex]

Us = 1/2(25794 N/m)(.0105m)2

=1.42 J ?

For the second part, x is from the unstretched length. So x = 4.01 cm.

I think that 1.42j is wrong.If you think that in order to move 2.96 you need 11.3j energy.So in order to move it more you would need more energy.

That's an way to understand that there is a error.I hope i helped

Us = 1/2(25794 N/m)(.0401m)2

=20.7J ?

What is the formula for calculating work needed to compress a spring?

The formula for calculating work needed to compress a spring is: W = 0.5 * k * (x^2), where W is the work, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What is the unit of measurement for work needed to compress a spring?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J).

How does the spring constant affect the work needed to compress a spring?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. As the spring constant increases, the work needed to compress the spring also increases. This means that a stiffer spring will require more force and energy to compress compared to a less stiff spring.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated work needed to compress a spring?

The accuracy of the calculated work needed to compress a spring can be affected by factors such as the accuracy of the spring constant value, the precision of the displacement measurement, and external factors such as friction and air resistance.

Can the formula for calculating work needed to compress a spring be used for non-linear springs?

No, the formula W = 0.5 * k * (x^2) is only applicable for linear springs, where the force is directly proportional to the displacement. For non-linear springs, a more complex formula is needed to calculate the work needed.