Compressing air using weight

• Thread starter mrwaustin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using the weight of a tank of water to compress air, using a positive-displacement cylinder such as a ram or spring return type. The tank will be supported in a way that allows it to move with the cylinder, and when water is drained, the tank will draw in more air until it is refilled. The main question is about the best type of cylinder for this process and if there are any recommended vendors. The conversation also clarifies that this is not a perpetual motion idea, but rather a study in pneumatics.
mrwaustin
I want to compress air using the weight of a tank of water. Under the tank I propose some form of positive-displacement cylinder -perhaps a ram or spring return type cylinder.

The tank will be supported in such a way so that it will move along with the cylinder. When filling up the tank the weight should cause the cylinder to compress the air. When I drain some of the water the tank will recede to its original position and draw in more air until the tank is refilled.

My question is: What type of cylinder is best for this? And can you refer me to a site or vendor for the cylinder?

Thanks,

Michael Wright

PS No perpetual motion ideas here. Just a study in pneumatics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just do a google search on pneumatic cylinder or air cylinder.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for sharing your idea for compressing air using the weight of a tank of water. It is an interesting concept and could potentially have practical applications in the field of pneumatics.

In terms of the type of cylinder that would be best for this setup, it would depend on various factors such as the size and weight of the tank, the desired compression ratio, and the intended use of the compressed air. Generally, a positive-displacement cylinder that is capable of producing high forces would be suitable for this setup. A double-acting cylinder, such as a spring return type, would also be a good option as it allows for compression and expansion of the air.

As for a specific vendor or site for the cylinder, I would recommend researching different pneumatic cylinder manufacturers and suppliers to find one that offers a suitable product for your needs. Some popular vendors include Parker Hannifin, Festo, and SMC Corporation. It would also be beneficial to consult with a pneumatics expert or engineer for further guidance and recommendations.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in your study of pneumatics. Keep exploring and innovating!

Best,

1. How does compressing air using weight work?

Compressing air using weight involves using a heavy weight to apply pressure to a container filled with air, causing the air molecules to become more densely packed. This results in an increase in air pressure and a decrease in air volume.

2. What are the benefits of compressing air using weight?

Compressing air using weight is a simple and efficient method of storing and transporting compressed air. It also allows for easy adjustment of air pressure and can be used in various applications, such as in pneumatic tools and engines.

3. Is compressing air using weight safe?

Compressing air using weight can be safe as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to use a sturdy container and weight, and to release the pressure slowly to avoid accidents.

4. Can any weight be used to compress air?

While technically any weight can be used, it is important to use a weight that is heavy enough to apply sufficient pressure to the air inside the container. It is also important to consider the weight's stability and safety when using it for compressing air.

5. What are some potential applications of compressed air stored using weight?

Compressed air stored using weight has a wide range of applications, including in pneumatic tools, engines, and air-powered vehicles. It can also be used for power generation, cleaning, and in industrial processes.