Exploring the Effects of Raising Air Pressure in a Flask

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential reaction of air in a one liter glass flask when subjected to a 100 psi air compressor. According to the law of ideal gas, the temperature of the air would increase, but it is uncertain if the pressure in the flask would also increase. One person suggests that the pressure could potentially be raised by 100 psi, while another corrects this by stating that Boyle's law only applies to a fixed mass of gas and the temperature would depend on various factors.
Batata
Hi! I'm a biologist so be easy on me:)

Say I had a one liter glass flask filled with air and I had a 100 psi air compressor attached to it. (I don't want to suck air out but blow more inside!) How would the air in this flask react - according to the law of ideal gas the temperature of the air should start rising, but would I be able to increase the pressure in the flask as well? How much would I be able to raise the psi in the flask?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i think if you had a 100PSI compressor, you could raise the pressure by 100PSI.
the volume would remain the same, so T would go up by the same factor.
100PSI is 14 times atmospheric pressure, so the temperature would increase by a factor of 14.

but I'm not 100% sure. hopefully someone else can either confirm I'm correct, or let you know what i did wrong.

dnp33
I'm sorry you are wrong, you seem to be applying Boyles law P1*V1/T1=P2*V2/T2 but this only works for a fixed mass of gas. The temperature of the gas in the flask in this instance would be about the same as the outlet temperature of the air compressor, which would depend on a huge number of factors.

ah i see.
thank you for the correction, i seem to have missed the fact that there was obviously air being pushed into the flask.

As a biologist, I am not an expert in the field of gas laws, but I can offer some insights based on my scientific knowledge. According to the ideal gas law, increasing the pressure of a gas will also increase its temperature, assuming that the volume and amount of gas remain constant. In this case, as you increase the pressure in the flask, the air molecules will become more compact and collide with each other more frequently, leading to an increase in temperature.

However, the maximum pressure that you can achieve in the flask will also depend on the volume and temperature of the air inside. Eventually, the air molecules will reach a point where they cannot be compressed further and the pressure will plateau. This is known as the critical point.

In terms of how much you can increase the pressure in the flask, it will also depend on the capacity of your air compressor and the strength of the flask itself. If the flask is not strong enough to withstand high pressures, it may crack or break under the increased pressure. It is important to consider safety precautions and use appropriate equipment when conducting experiments involving high pressures.

In summary, increasing the air pressure in a flask will lead to an increase in temperature, but the maximum pressure that can be achieved will depend on various factors such as volume, temperature, and equipment limitations. It would be interesting to conduct further experiments to determine the exact relationship between pressure and temperature in this scenario.

1. What is the purpose of raising air pressure in a flask?

The purpose of raising air pressure in a flask is to simulate conditions of higher atmospheric pressure. This can be done for various experiments and studies, such as testing the effects of high altitudes on organisms or observing the behavior of gases under different pressures.

2. How is air pressure raised in a flask?

Air pressure can be raised in a flask by using a pump or compressor to force air into the flask, or by heating the air inside the flask. Both methods result in an increase in the number of air molecules inside the flask, thus raising the air pressure.

3. What are the potential effects of raising air pressure in a flask?

The effects of raising air pressure in a flask will depend on the specific conditions and the purpose of the experiment. In general, higher air pressure can lead to increased density, temperature, and reactivity of the gases inside the flask. It can also affect the behavior and growth of organisms and the dissolution of solids in liquids.

4. Is raising air pressure in a flask safe?

Raising air pressure in a flask can be safe if done properly and with proper precautions. It is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate equipment to prevent accidents or explosions. It is also important to monitor the pressure levels and release pressure if it becomes too high.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the effects of raising air pressure in a flask?

Studying the effects of raising air pressure in a flask has many practical applications, such as in the fields of aviation, medicine, and chemistry. For example, understanding how the human body responds to high altitudes can help improve air travel safety, while studying the behavior of gases under high pressure can aid in the development of new technologies and materials.