Compression Distance Calc of Spring: F=-kx-bx^3

• Thread starter fredrogers3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the compression distance of a non-linear spring after being hit by a pendulum bob. The equations of conservation of energy are used to find the solution, which results in a complicated expression with several square roots and variables such as b, k, m, g, and h.
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

F= -kx-bx^3 of the spring

A pendulum bob of mass m is raised to a point h and released.After hitting the
non-linear spring, calculate the compression distance of the spring as function of k ,
b , m , g , and h .
Picture here:http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/1-spring-obeys-non-linear-force-law-f-8722-kx-8722-bx-3--work-compressing-spring-distance--q237651

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Before hitting the bob, the expressions are mgh1+.5mv^2=mgh2+.5mv2^2
V2=sqrt 2gh
At the moment it hits the bob, .5mv2^2=.5kx3^2+.25kx3^4

By the end of simplifying, .5kx3^2+.25bx3^4 - mgh
I am to solve for x3, but when I do it comes out as a complicated expression with a couple of square roots in it. I took y=x^2, by the way, in order to use the quadratic formula. Am I correct in my work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should have a complicated expression with a couple of roots in it. It will have b, k, m, g, h, too. Your method looks generally correct (except you seem to have lost b along the way).

1. What is the equation for calculating compression distance of a spring?

The equation for calculating compression distance of a spring is F = -kx - bx^3, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, x is the distance the spring is compressed, and b is a coefficient that takes into account the non-linearity of the spring's behavior.

2. How do I determine the value of the spring constant (k)?

The spring constant (k) can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance it is compressed. This is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is compressed or stretched.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient (b) in the compression distance equation?

The coefficient (b) in the compression distance equation takes into account the non-linear behavior of the spring. This means that as the spring is compressed further, the force required to compress it will increase at a faster rate than if it were a linear spring. The value of b can be determined experimentally by plotting the force vs. distance data for the spring.

4. Can the compression distance equation be used for any type of spring?

No, the compression distance equation F = -kx - bx^3 is specifically for non-linear springs. Linear springs, which follow Hooke's Law, can be calculated using the equation F = -kx.

5. How does the compression distance of a spring affect its potential energy?

The compression distance of a spring is directly proportional to its potential energy. This means that as the spring is compressed, its potential energy increases. Once the spring is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original shape.