Boosting Gun Efficiency: Exploring High-Velocity Bullets

In summary: It's about 50,000 atmospheres. Good luck trying to compete with that figure using a pump.Or you could do it the simpler way... more powder and a longer barrel...
sid_galt
If the gunpowder in a gun is detonated in a chamber consisting of compressed air such that the top of the chamber is formed by the bullet, wouldn't the efficiency of energy extraction from the gunpowder increase as the pressure ratio will be much higher? Would such a bullet be able to achieve much higher velocities?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi sidgalt!

To say the truth I have no idea about ballistics. Anyway, I thought you will find interesting this link:

http://www.aa.washington.edu/AERP/ramac/

It's great. Try to look into it and post a comment here if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pressure generated by the burning propellant is orders of magnitude higher than you could provide with any reasonably-sized pump, so it really would help much to add that tiny bit of energy.

Clausius2 said:
Hi sidgalt!

To say the truth I have no idea about ballistics. Anyway, I thought you will find interesting this link:

http://www.aa.washington.edu/AERP/ramac/

It's great. Try to look into it and post a comment here if you want.

Thanks for the link Clausius2. It's fantastic. I had no idea they were using ramjets to power projectiles.

russ_watters said:
The pressure generated by the burning propellant is orders of magnitude higher than you could provide with any reasonably-sized pump, so it really would help much to add that tiny bit of energy.

Assuming detonation gives a pressure ratio of 18:1, the theoretical efficiency is 68%. If we compress the air beforehand to a pressure of say 4:1, then the theoretical efficiency rises to 81%, a 13% difference. I would say it's quite a lot. Of course the casing would also have to be 4 times thicker and a method of injecting gunpowder pellets will have to be arranged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did the 18:1 come from?

It was off the head. I did a google search but I coudln't find the compression ratio generated in a gun

sid_galt said:
It was off the head. I did a google search but I coudln't find the compression ratio generated in a gun

It's about 50,000 atmospheres. Good luck trying to compete with that
using a pump.

Or you could do it the simpler way... more powder and a longer barrel...

Cheers...

1. How do high-velocity bullets increase gun efficiency?

High-velocity bullets increase gun efficiency by increasing the speed at which the bullet travels, which in turn increases its kinetic energy and impact force. This allows for greater accuracy and range, as well as more effective penetration of the target.

2. What are the potential risks of using high-velocity bullets?

The use of high-velocity bullets can pose a higher risk of over-penetration and collateral damage, as well as increased recoil and potential damage to the firearm itself. There may also be legal implications, as some countries or states have restrictions on the use of high-velocity ammunition.

3. Are there any specific types of guns that are more suitable for high-velocity bullets?

Generally, guns with longer barrels and higher muzzle velocities are better suited for high-velocity bullets. This includes rifles, shotguns, and some handguns. It is important to consult with a firearms expert to determine the compatibility of your specific gun with high-velocity ammunition.

4. How do high-velocity bullets affect the overall performance of a firearm?

High-velocity bullets can significantly improve the performance of a firearm by increasing its range, accuracy, and impact force. However, it is important to also consider the potential risks and limitations of using these types of bullets.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when using high-velocity bullets?

In addition to the type of gun and potential risks, it is important to also consider the type and quality of the ammunition itself. Different brands and types of high-velocity bullets may have varying effects on the performance and functionality of a firearm. It is important to carefully research and select the appropriate ammunition for your specific firearm.