How Far Will the Spring Compress When Dropping a 5.8 kg Block?

In summary, compression in a spring refers to the decrease in its size due to an applied external force. It is typically measured by the amount of force required to compress it and is affected by factors such as material, thickness, and force direction. The compression of a spring is directly proportional to the applied force and is commonly used in real-life applications for shock absorption and smooth movement of objects.
DStan27
A vertical spring with k = 495 N/m is standing on the ground. You are holding a 5.8 kg block just above the spring, not quite touching it.

How far does the spring compress if you let go of the block suddenly?

i thought i could just use k = F/distance

so 495(D) = (5.8)(9.8)

D = .1148 but this is not correct. i take it i am doing something wrong with my acceleration but I'm not sure what. can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i figured it out.

Your approach is correct, but you need to account for the weight of the block in your calculation. The force exerted by the spring on the block is equal to the weight of the block, which is given by mg, where m is the mass of the block and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So the equation should be kx = mg, where x is the distance the spring compresses and mg is the weight of the block. Rearranging, we get x = mg/k. Plugging in the values, we get x = (5.8 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)/(495 N/m) = 0.1167 m. So the spring would compress approximately 0.1167 meters if you let go of the block suddenly.

1. What is the concept of compression in a spring?

The concept of compression in a spring refers to the reduction of its length or volume due to an applied external force. This force causes the spring's coils to be pushed closer together, resulting in a decrease in its overall size.

2. How is the compression of a spring measured?

The compression of a spring is typically measured by the amount of force required to compress it a certain distance. This is known as the spring's stiffness or spring constant, and is measured in units of force per unit length (such as N/m or lbs/in).

3. What factors affect the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the number of coils, and the initial length of the spring. Additionally, the amount of force applied and the direction of the force also play a role in determining the compression of a spring.

4. What is the relationship between compression and force in a spring?

The compression of a spring is directly proportional to the force applied to it. This means that as the force increases, the compression of the spring will also increase. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law and can be expressed as F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance of compression.

5. How is the compression of a spring used in real-life applications?

The compression of a spring has many practical applications, such as in shock absorbers, car suspensions, and mattresses. It is also used in various types of machinery and equipment, such as watches and door hinges. In these applications, the spring's compression allows for the absorption of energy and the smooth movement of objects.