1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compression of gasses

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    I was wondering out of all the known gasses, which is the easiest to compress?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2
    Not all gasses compress the same do they?

4. Feb 6, 2007 #3
    Lets put it this way, is their a gas thats easier to compress than air?

5. Feb 7, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Any compound that is a vapor at room temperature but has a boiling point near room temperature will be easier to compress than air. 1,2-butadiene, a gas at room temperature and pressure, has a boiling point of about 10C. At room temperature it is almost "compressing" to a liquid by itself. Butane is another example. Butane is so easy to compress that it can be contained as a liquid in a small plastic container (Bic). Some of the Freons (chlorofluorocarbons) are easier to compress as well.

What I have described are compounds that do not behave like an ideal gas near room temperature. At higher temperatures, these compounds behave more like ideal gases although not exactly like them.

6. Feb 7, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the lesson, I'm becoming a better and more informed person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?