Finding the Maximum Compression Distance of a Spring: A Physics Problem

In summary: However, there may be some slight variations in the values used, as well as rounding errors. In summary, when a 2kg block is dropped from a height of 40 cm onto a spring with a force constant of 1960 N/m, the maximum distance the spring is compressed is 10 cm. There may be slight variations in calculations, but using the energy method is the most accurate way to solve this problem.
roam

Homework Statement

A 2kg block is dropped from a height of 40 cm onto a spring of force constant k=1960 N/m. Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

(The answer must be 10 cm)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that if a spring is stretched "y", it will be compressed "y". The problem is that I can't find out how long will the spring stretch once it is dropped from that height. Therefore I tried to use the formula

[tex]F = ky[/tex]

Where [tex]F= mg = 2 \times 9.81[/tex] and k =1960 N/m which is 196000 N/cm

[tex]2 \times 9.81 = (196000) k[/tex]

[tex]y= \frac{2 \times 9.81}{196000}[/tex]

But this gives me the wrong answer. Why is that?? :confused:

By the way, I know that the tension is [tex]T= 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{2}{196000}}= 0.02 N[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
It is best to consider energy for this problem, graviational pe = potential pe of springAlso that T is period time and not the tension.

rock.freak667 said:
It is best to consider energy for this problem, graviational pe = potential pe of spring

I tried that, it doesn't seem to work:

[tex]mgh= \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/tex]

2 (9.81) 40 = 1/2 (196000) x2

x=0.089 cm

Because the correct answer should be 10 cm! Is there anything wrong with my calculations?

Also that T is period time and not the tension.

Yep, my mistake. :blushing:

Not sure, the only way to get 10cm exact is if the mass was dropped from 50cm.

Normally, the energy method should work.

I would suggest approaching this problem using the conservation of energy principle. When the block is dropped from a height of 40 cm, it will have a potential energy of mgh = 2 x 9.81 x 0.4 = 7.84 J. This energy will be transferred to the spring when it compresses, causing it to have a potential energy of 1/2 kx^2, where x is the maximum distance the spring is compressed. Setting these two energies equal to each other, we get 7.84 = 1/2 x 1960 x x^2, which simplifies to x = 0.1 m or 10 cm. This approach takes into account the initial potential energy of the block and the potential energy stored in the compressed spring, giving us a more accurate result.

1. What is the definition of compression of spring?

Compression of spring refers to the process of applying a force to a spring, causing it to shorten and store potential energy.

2. How does the amount of compression affect the spring's potential energy?

The amount of compression directly affects the amount of potential energy stored in the spring. The more the spring is compressed, the more potential energy it will have.

3. What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to compression of spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force required to compress or stretch a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is compressed or stretched. This law explains the relationship between the force applied to a spring and its resulting compression.

4. How is compression of spring used in real-world applications?

Compression of spring is used in many real-world applications, such as in car suspension systems, door hinges, and shock absorbers. It is also commonly used in toys, mattresses, and exercise equipment.

5. Can a spring be compressed indefinitely?

No, a spring has a limit to how much it can be compressed. Once it reaches its elastic limit, it will no longer return to its original shape and may even permanently deform or break. This is known as the spring's maximum compression point.