1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressional force

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose 7.00 g of hydrogen is separated into electrons and protons. Suppose also the protons are placed at the earth's North Pole and the electrons are placed at the South Pole. What is the resulting compressional force on the Earth?

2. Relevant equations

Fe = Ke*|q1||q2|/r^2, radius of earth is 6.38*10^6 * 2 to get diameter is 1.3*10^7...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe this is the correct way:

7 * 6.02^1023 = 4.21*10^24 (since it is 7 hydrogens, and 1 hydrogen = 1 Avagrado's number)
    = [(4.21*10^24)*(1.60*10^-19)]^2/(4^(6.38*10^6)^2) * 8.99*10^9 = 2.51*10^7. I think the reason we multiply by 4 is because we need to get the diameter for both proton and electron, giving 4.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't follow your reasoning.

In order to determine the force between 7 moles of protons and 7 moles of electrons at opposite poles of the earth you have to know the permittivity of the earth. Since the earth is largely iron, look up the permittivity of iron.

[tex]F = \frac{Q_1Q_2}{4\pi\epsilon r^2}[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon = \epsilon_r\epsilon_0[/itex] ([itex]\epsilon_r[/itex] being the relative permittivity of iron).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook