1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressional stress & shear stress

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1
    A force of 500 N is applied at an angle of 37 degrees to the surface of the end of a square bar. that surface is 4.0 cm on a side. what are the compressional & shear stress on the bar? material processing class and i don't know the eqation or where to start someone help please

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

You need to specify more information on this problem. What are the boundary (fixed point) conditions, i.e. is it a cantilever beam (one end fixed, one end free)? I assume that is the geometry for this problem.

Also I presume the horizontal component of the force vector is pointing toward the fixed end, in order to put the entire beam in compression.

So assuming it this is a cantilevered beam, what are the equations for a cantilever beam in deflection? Think of the horizontal and vertical components. You may ignore torsion.

Are you familiar with superposition?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?