1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressions vs nodes

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1
    Just a quick question-- can compressions and rarefractions be compared to nodes and antinodes in calculations? For example, I have calculated the wavelength of a given longitudinal traveling wave and I am supposed to find the distance from one compression to an adjacent compression. I calculated this the same as you would from node to node where the distance between each is half a wave. However, when I tried this theory, (assuming that the distance between a compression and another compression is half a wave) it ended up being wrong. Please help soon-- I am reviewing for a Physics final tomorrow and came across this problem. I hope you can help clear it up. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Nodes and antinodes are formed in a standing wave, not in a travelling wave.

The distance between two consecutive nodes (or antinodes) in a standing wave is half the wavelength.

The distance between to consecutive compression (or creasts in case of transverce waves) in a travelling wave is equal to wavelength.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?