1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressor and Turbine Work

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The pressure ratio of an air standard gas-turbine cycle is 8/1 and the inlet conditions to the compressor are 200 KPa and 30C. The turbine is limited to a temperature of 1500K and the compressor and turbine adiabatic efficiencies are 60 and 90 respectively. Calculate compressor and turbine work

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am a bit confused on this particular problem. I drew my diagram with compressor and turbine and applied first law, initially assuming no heat transfer and solving for 0.6Wc=h2-h1, and similarily for 0.9Wt=h4-h3.

With the pressure ratio given, I calculated p2(through the compressor) by p1 times the pressure ratio. From here I became stumped on the enthalpy calculation. Two thoughts, does temperature track pressure in the sense that I could multiply T1 by 6 and find T2? then it is just a matter of plugging in values from the tables to solve for work.

or, because max temperature in the turbine is given at 1500K I assume this to be the temperature leaving the compressor and calculate work, assume adiabatic and reversible and then multiply by the respective efficiencies?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2
    use compressor efficiency=ideal/actual entalphy ,for given pr ratio , To1 and effiency ..find only unknown To2 and substitute& find Wc=Cp(To2-To1).
    so from direct substitution in Wc=Wt . GivenTo3 turbine inlet temp. Find To4 ..Sub in Wt=change in delta To *Cp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted