Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressor As a Steam Turbine

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1
    Hi All,
    I am a solar thermal enthusiast seeking to try out a few things. I need some info on using car aircondition compressor as a pico steam turbine if it is possible. Links, suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Regards,
    Solomon.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2
    what u mean with a pico steam turbine?-make it a little more clear please
    and i wonder how a compressor could work as a steam turbine?

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    yes, a pico / micro /mini turbine. Seeking to use the compressor + induction motor combination as a turbine + induction generator.

5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A compressor is not a reversible machine. It is not peformed to act as a turbine.

6. Sep 21, 2006 #5
    obibask, i have been thinking about a similar setup check out this page for some ideas http://www.redrok.com/engine.htm. I have a large sattelite dish that I will cover with polished aluminum to focus sunlight and generate heat. I still need my "boiler" and turbine/comprssor, I will select an induction motor based on these.

Clausius though i am not familar with a scroll compressor I have heard that they can be run as an expander with some modification.

I will be limited to a maximum heat input of ~4000W with my sattelite dish based on 800W/m^2 solar flux and .8 emisivity for polished aluminum. It would be neat if I could generate a solid 2kW during sunny days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?