Can a Car Airconditioning Compressor be Used as a Pico Steam Turbine?

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a car airconditioning compressor as a pico steam turbine for a solar thermal project. The original poster is seeking links, suggestions, and opinions on this idea. Some members of the conversation have doubts about the feasibility of this setup, but others have shared resources and ideas for similar setups. The maximum heat input for the project is limited to approximately 4000W.
obibask
Hi All,
I am a solar thermal enthusiast seeking to try out a few things. I need some info on using car aircondition compressor as a pico steam turbine if it is possible. Links, suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Regards,
Solomon.

Engineering news on Phys.org
what u mean with a pico steam turbine?-make it a little more clear please
and i wonder how a compressor could work as a steam turbine?

yes, a pico / micro /mini turbine. Seeking to use the compressor + induction motor combination as a turbine + induction generator.

A compressor is not a reversible machine. It is not peformed to act as a turbine.

obibask, i have been thinking about a similar setup check out this page for some ideas http://www.redrok.com/engine.htm. I have a large sattelite dish that I will cover with polished aluminum to focus sunlight and generate heat. I still need my "boiler" and turbine/comprssor, I will select an induction motor based on these.

Clausius though i am not familar with a scroll compressor I have heard that they can be run as an expander with some modification.

I will be limited to a maximum heat input of ~4000W with my sattelite dish based on 800W/m^2 solar flux and .8 emisivity for polished aluminum. It would be neat if I could generate a solid 2kW during sunny days.

1. What is a compressor as a steam turbine?

A compressor as a steam turbine is a type of turbine that uses steam as its working fluid to generate power. It is designed to convert the energy of steam into mechanical energy, which can then be used to drive a compressor. This type of turbine is commonly used in power plants to produce electricity.

2. How does a compressor as a steam turbine work?

A compressor as a steam turbine works by using steam to rotate a set of blades, which are connected to a shaft. As the blades rotate, they turn the shaft and drive the compressor. The steam enters the turbine at a high pressure and temperature, and as it passes through the blades, it expands, causing the blades to rotate.

3. What are the advantages of using a compressor as a steam turbine?

One of the main advantages of using a compressor as a steam turbine is its efficiency. Steam turbines have a high efficiency rate, which means that they can convert a large amount of the energy in the steam into mechanical energy. Additionally, steam turbines are reliable and have a long lifespan, making them a popular choice for power generation.

4. What are the applications of a compressor as a steam turbine?

Compressors as steam turbines have a wide range of applications, including power generation in thermal power plants, mechanical drive in industries, and use in marine propulsion systems. They are also used in the oil and gas industry for gas compression and in refrigeration systems for air conditioning.

5. How does a compressor as a steam turbine differ from other types of turbines?

A compressor as a steam turbine differs from other types of turbines, such as gas turbines or wind turbines, in the source of its energy. While gas turbines use combustion of fuel and wind turbines use wind energy, steam turbines use the energy of steam. Additionally, the design and operation of a steam turbine are different from other types of turbines, making them suitable for specific applications.