Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressor Oil

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm in the process of designing a high pressure hydrogen compressor. In this machine, an oil will be in direct contact with the hydrogen. To minimize the amount of oil vapor that enters the hydrogen and must be separated, an oil with high molecular weight and low vapor pressure should be best.

Ref: EngineeringTalk

The oil used in my compressor doesn't need to be a particularly good lubricant, it is used to displace hydrogen and compress it. My thinking is to use a vacuum pump oil instead of a conventional compressor lubricant. The vacuum pump oils have a vapor pressure on the order of 0.0001 micron. They can achieve this by distilling down the oil and removing the lower molecular weight parts.

Edit (this part added): Another concern regards how much hydrogen might disolve into the oil. Does anyone know if hydrogen disolves readily in mineral oil?

I haven't looked into compressor oil enough yet to know how they compare. Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I came across this doing a search on the Ostwald coefficient and hydrogen:

http://aiche.confex.com/aiche/2005/preliminaryprogram/abstract_21861.htm

It's not a detailed explaination, but it does give a couple of sources for research if needs be.

I will look at our vacuum pump facility and see what we use. Most of the time I can call and ask the manufacturer directly. Let me see what I can dig up. Hydrogen solubility is not exactly something I get to deal with...ever.

No chance in going with an oil free compressor since you need it for the compression, eh?

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Fred. Sounds from your reference that they're implying hydrogen disolves readily in hydrocarbon oil, something which I was afraid of. Looks like I'll have to either have it measured or find someone that can calculate it though I doubt I'll find anyone. Fortunately I have an easy option to have it measured, so I just may do that.

I tried talking to the company rep for the oil, but they didn't seem to know much. Also, because of the way the compressor is designed I can't design out the oil/hydrogen interface very easily. Maybe if I start all over ... :frown:

5. Sep 8, 2005 #4
    Hi Q_Goest,

Not sure if this will help but here's a paper discussing the solubility of hydrogen and other gases in alkanes and 1-alkenes

Link

Best of Luck!

6. Sep 8, 2005 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Sid. I'll have a look.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?