Compsci & programming section

• Thread starter atrus_ovis
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why isn't it a full sub-forum?

Answers and Replies

It is. What exactly are you looking for.

Char. Limit
Gold Member
But it is.

Probably because there aren't enough posts in CS and programming...

It's not a proper subforum, like physics, math, engineering or even part of the "other sciences" central branches , like chemistry,biology, etc. It's a sub-subforum part of the "computers in general" subforum, alongside with the "why is my graphics card emitting UV radiation" :P .

I'd recommend moving the CompSci & programming to the "other sciences" section.Just the stuff related with the coursework/homework, math for compsci, analysis etc, and leave the troubleshooting and technology stuff out of it.

Char. Limit
Gold Member
Actually, physics, math and engineering are forums. Sections like General Math or General Physics are subforums. Using this terminology, Computer Science has a subforum, and Programming has a subsubforum.

Not to mention, when the last post there was over 3 days ago, there's not exactly demand for moving it up to a full forum.

Ah okay, i thought 'forum' was called the whole website.

At Programming & CompSci subforum, latest post was yesterday as i can see.

Plus, for example, the "Earth sciences" sub-.. whatever it's called, has 34 pages of threads,
Prog& CompSci has 66, and Earth Sciences is in the front page.

I don't think 66 pages is enough to make it a full subforum. Homework help has 3000 pages of threads, but that isn't a subforum too...

Consider the organisation as well.

All the computer stuff together just doesn't have enough traffic to demand higher status.

You should note that the majority of things get posted in Computing first and then moved to the relevant areas.

Home work help is in the front page (that's what i mean with the word 'proper subforum').
So is Earth sciences.

Anyway.

edit:
All the computer stuff together just doesn't have enough traffic to demand higher status.

You should note that the majority of things get posted in Computing first and then moved to the relevant areas.
I m just saying, as someone who often looks for help in compsci topics.

Home work help is in the front page (that's what i mean with the word 'proper subforum').
So is Earth sciences.

Anyway.
Homework help is a sub set of forums.

Computing is on the front page and compsci is a sub of it, in the same way that Homework is on the front page and Basic Physics is a sub of it.

EDIT: There's so little traffic there, I'm plugging it in my signature to try and drive it up.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
The forum organization works well in its current state. There is no reason for a reorganization given the current level of traffic seen in the computing forums.

So is Earth sciences.
But there is a computing and technology up front?

I m just saying, as someone who often looks for help in compsci topics.
Yes, but an upgrade of the compsci forums will change nothing, it won't get you better help or something :tongue2:

Char. Limit - Proud member of the Physics Forums SAS.
jhae2.718 - Crackpot Delenda Est -- PF SAS "Aero Squadron" Commando
micromass - PF SAS: liberating the world from crackpots!

What's this SAS? All three of you have it in your sigs. Is there something I missed somewhere?

What's this SAS? All three of you have it in your sigs. Is there something I missed somewhere?
If we tell you, we'd have to ban you!

Don't forget JarednJames. He also has it :smile:

Char. Limit
Gold Member

Just a privately run organization, unrelated to PF, that works together to deal with any crackpots we find.

Last edited:
jhae2.718
Gold Member
I prefer "Scientific Anticrackpot Service".

jhae2.718
Gold Member
Yeah, I just thought the "anti-science" went against the whole idea...Special Anticrackpot Service it is, then?

Yeah, I just thought the "anti-science" went against the whole idea...Special Anticrackpot Service it is, then?
Yeah, that occured to me last night too.

"Project Fruitcake: Special Anticrackpot Service" - Job done!

jhae2.718
Gold Member
We have weapons of math instruction, and we're not afraid to use them!

Evo
Mentor