1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Effect Derivation

1. May 14, 2007 #1
    oK SO.... I have been given the task of deriving the Compton effect equ. ( [tex]\lambda\prime-\lambda=\frac{h}{m_ec}(1-cos\theta)[/tex])
    exactly from the 3 following:
    1) [tex]\frac{h}{\lambda}=\frac{h}{\lambda\prime}cos\theta +\gamma m u cos\phi[/tex]

2) [tex]0=\frac{h}{\lambda\prime}sin\theta-\gamma mu sin\phi[/tex]

3) [tex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}=\frac{hc}{\lambda\prime}+(\gamma-1)mc^2[/tex]

I found the link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering
    however I am having a hard time going from my equations to momentum and energy conservation
    any ideas where to go ... I have been at it for 4+hrs and its driving me nuts
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

To get rid of term of [tex]\phi[/tex], try

[tex]\frac{h}{\lambda}\,-\,\frac{h}{\lambda'}cos\theta\,=\,\gamma m u cos\phi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{h}{\lambda'}sin\theta\,=\,\gamma mu sin\phi[/tex]

Square both equations and add.

Now, IIRC, [itex]\beta[/itex] = u/c and [itex]\gamma[/itex] = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}[/tex]

4. May 14, 2007 #3
    1 and 2 are from momentum conservation and 3 from energy conservation.

First you need to eliminate Phi from the two first equations using the indentity cos^2(phi)+sin^2(phi)=1. Yes, you need to square up these equations after moving all other terms to one side except one with Phi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?