Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Compton effect, intensity

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    Why is there a peak in intensity at the initial wavelenght? Does this mean thst there are photons reaching the relevator without being scattered? How? Do they hit the electrons?

I put a photo of the graph

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I suppose that by "relevator" you mean "revelator" for which I think the proper English term is "detector"?

Yes, in general, not all of the photons that strike the target are scattered. How many are scattered, depends on the thickness of the target, and on the cross-section for Compton scattering at that wavelength (or energy).

4. Apr 29, 2017 #3
    So... they just go throught the target, they don't interact with it, if so then we should get this additional peak only at theta = 0, beacause if photons comes from a direction, and they dont interact with the target, they should go on in that direction, without changing it, why then there are photons that dont interact at other angles? They should change direction only if they interact with the target, how can they dont interact but still change direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted