Compton Effect: Finding Recoil Velocity of Electron at 180 Degrees

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the Compton Effect and finding the recoil velocity of an electron after a 125 keV photon scatters off of it at a 180 degree angle. The participants discussed using energy and momentum conservation equations to solve the problem, but were unsure of the correct approach and equations to use. They also suggested clearly labeling variables and expressing the problem in terms of momentum and energy conservation.
so09er
[SOLVED] Compton Effect question

A 125 keV photon scatters from a free electron initially at rest. Find the recoil velocity of the electron if the photon scattering angle is 180 degrees. (Use energy and momentum conservation.)

Am lost at where to go on this problem, thanks for any help that can be provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the momentum of a photon relate to it's energy?

thanks for the help

I am kinda lost as well:
I have

hv=cp+hv' => hv'=hv-cp
hv+mc^2=(m^2c^4+c^2p^2)^1/2 +hv'

I have tried to sub hv'=hv-cp into equation 2, but I stil can't find the momentum of electron. Are the equations wrong?

lowerlowerhk said:
I am kinda lost as well:
I have

hv=cp+hv' => hv'=hv-cp
hv+mc^2=(m^2c^4+c^2p^2)^1/2 +hv'

I have tried to sub hv'=hv-cp into equation 2, but I stil can't find the momentum of electron. Are the equations wrong?

Why don't you clearly label what your variables mean and then express the problem in terms of conservation of momentum and energy?

1. What is the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect is a phenomenon in which an incoming photon collides with an electron and transfers some of its energy to the electron, resulting in a change in the wavelength of the photon. This effect was first observed by Arthur Compton in 1923 and is considered to be one of the most convincing pieces of evidence for the wave-particle duality of light.

2. How does the Compton Effect support the wave-particle duality of light?

The Compton Effect shows that light behaves as both a wave and a particle. The fact that the photon transfers energy to the electron, like a particle, but also changes its wavelength, like a wave, provides evidence for the dual nature of light.

3. What is the significance of the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect has significant implications in the fields of quantum mechanics and relativity. It helped to confirm Einstein's theory of relativity and provided evidence for the existence of photons as discrete particles of light.

4. Can the Compton Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Compton Effect can be observed in everyday life. It is responsible for the blue color of the sky, as the shorter blue wavelengths of light are scattered more by the Earth's atmosphere. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as Compton tomography, to detect the presence of tumors in the body.

5. How is the Compton Effect related to X-rays?

The Compton Effect is a process that occurs when X-rays interact with matter. X-rays have a high enough energy to cause electrons to be ejected from atoms, resulting in the Compton Effect. This is why X-rays are commonly used in medical imaging to create images of the inside of the body.