1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Effect Question

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 650-keV gamma ray Compton-scatters from an electron. Find the energy of the photon scattered at 110°, the kinetic energy of the scattered electron, and the recoil angle of the electron.
    2. Relevant equations
    Compton effect equation:
    Δλ = [itex]λ^{'}[/itex] - λ = (h/mc) (1-cosθ)

Conservation of Energy:
    hf + m[itex]c^{2}[/itex] = h[itex]f^{'}[/itex] + [itex]E_{e}[/itex]

hf is initial photon energy, m[itex]c^{2}[/itex] is electron energy before scattering, h[itex]f^{'}[/itex] is the energy of scattered photon with new frequency f prime, and [itex]E_{e}[/itex] is the energy of the recoil electron with mc^2 and Kinetic Energy.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all I am confused about the question. Are they saying a gamma ray is scattered? Or does a gamma ray hit the electron producing a scattering photon and the electron recoils?

For now, I am thinking that the gamma ray hits the electron (the latter mentioned).

For the recoil angle, I am thinking that it should be 80° since momentum is conserved and so the electron goes in the opposite direction, so 80°.

To find the energy of scattered photon I need to find the new frequency. My thought is that I need to find the new wavelength so that I can use f=c/λ. I can find the new wavelength using Compton Effect equation shown above. I know θ is 110°, and h,m,c are constants. But what about initial λ? Can I get that from the 650-keV? So E = 650-keV = hc/λ using h in terms of eV I can get λ. Right? Now I am all set to find the new wavelength.With that I can find the new frequency, and then find the scattering energy of the photon.

Now I should have all the information to find the Kinetic Energy using the Conservation of energy equation above.

Am I going the right way, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's the difference? I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make.

You'll have to rethink this.

Good plan. You don't need to find the frequency though. The equation you already mentioned,
    ##E = hc/\lambda##, allows you to relate energy to wavelength directly.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    Forget about the first question then. What do you mean rethink this? Should I use the Kinetic Energy of the recoiled electron to determine the angle?

EDIT: Or should I use conservation of momentum?

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to use momentum. Energy doesn't have a direction whereas momentum does.

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    Many thanks! I'll get to it then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook