1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Effect

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    If the maxmimum energy imparted to an electron in Compton scattering is 45 keV what is the wavelength of the incident photon?

So a compton scattering happens and the energy is 45 keV and I need to find the wavelength of the photon incident to this electron. I think I need to use

Lambda = h/mc (1-Cos), but I am not given an angle.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maximum energy corresponds to (minimum/maximum, you decide) wavelength change? Which angle gives the (minimum/maximum) wavelength change?

Your equation is missing something. It is not quite correct in two places. For one, the angle for the cos is missing. What else?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  4. Apr 23, 2005 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Imagine you're playing billiards. You shoot the cue ball (photon) against the eight-ball (electron), with a certain amount of energy. What direction does the cue ball go after the collision, when it transfers the maximum amount of energy to the eight-ball?

5. Apr 23, 2005 #4
    The cue ball will go in reverse fro mthe way it came?

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, although in the case of a cue ball that has no backspin there is no rebound because the masses of the balls are the same. But if you had a cue ball of lesser mass, it would bounce back. And if you had a cue ball of greater mass, it would keep going forward in a stratight line when the maximum energy is transferred.

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6
    So there is the collision and there is no rebound, but the 8 ball (electron) does go forward and now has the energy from the cue ball (photon)

8. Apr 24, 2005 #7
    correct! they have the same masses, so the cue ball transfers all of its energy to the eightball making it move forward and the cue ball come to a halt.

9. Apr 24, 2005 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Bleah, I forgot about the mass considerations... with equal masses and if topspin doesn't come into play, the cue ball simply comes to a dead stop in a head-on collision with a stationary eight-ball.

I should have specified something like a ping-pong ball hitting the eight-ball. After all, the photon is massless.

10. Apr 24, 2005 #9

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There will be a rebound in the Compton effect problem, and the angle that will give the electron greatest energy is when the rebound photon is straight back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?