1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton scattering differential cross section

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known

I have to prove an equation for the differential cross section of compton scattering of an electron and a photon (electron (P) + photon(K) ⇒ electron(P') + photon (K') ) where P and so on are the inital and final four momenta.

Given is that the square of the matrix element for the process, summed over all spin states and divided by 4 is given by:

prentje1_zps075de5ed.png

i have to prove:

prentje3_zps14181a85.png

Where E and p are the initial energy and the size of the three momentum of the electron.
    We can also use the following formula:

prentje4_zpsb7bcf350.png

Where i believe we assume the factor 1/va-vb to be 1/2.

Can someone help me solve this? I also have no idea where the squares of the cosines and sines in the expression for the cross section come from .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted