Compton-scattering = Entanglement ?

In summary, the photon's state can be described as a superposition of energy-states before and after scattering.
Edgardo
Hi all,

1) does the Compton-scattering produce an entangled state?
That is, if I measure the energy of the photon, the energy of the
electron is immediately known and vice versa.

2) Can the photon after scattering be considered as a superposition
of energy-states?

-Edgardo

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the 4momentum is conserved,i would say that knowing one energy,automatically determines the other...
As for second point,why...?The energy is known precisely from the energy-momentum conservation law...

Daniel.

Edgardo said:
2) Can the photon after scattering be considered as a superposition
of energy-states?

My thought was the following:
Before scattering, 'everything' is known, that is photon energy (wavelength).
But right after scattering, we don't know the photon's energy. There's a certain probability that it will be scattered at [itex] \theta_{1}[/itex]
with energy [itex] E_{1} [/itex], scattered at [itex] \theta_{2}[/itex]
with energy [itex] E_{2} [/itex] etc.

a) So could I describe the photon's state like the following?

[itex] |\Psi \rangle = \sum c_{k} |k \rangle [/itex]

b) When is the photon's energy determined?
Right after scattering or when we measure the energy?

But let's not forget the V-th principle of QM:we measure the energy of the outgoing photon and force his state vector to collapse.So even if,a priori,you can speak of a entangled state,one the measurement is performed,things are definitive...

Daniel.

Yes yes, I know that QM-axiom.
But in your opinion, is the energy (for the Compton-scattering) determined before measurement?

Would you then say that the photon's state can be written
as a superposition of energy-states as I described above?

Sure,before the measurement it is in an entangled state...I thought we had this cleared.

Daniel.

Hello dextercioby,

do you know other examples where the photon's state
can be written as a superposition of energy-states?
I'm asking because we just recently had a discussion about white photons,
and the question came up whether such a superposition for a single photon exists.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=62946&page=5&pp=15

We have pure quantum states and mixed quantum states.A pure state wan be seen as an uniparticle state (photon with momentum "k" and helicity eigenvalue Delta),or a multiparticle state (a state in the tensor product of Hilbert spaces of uniparticle states).As for mixed states,they are (normalized) combinations of pure quantum states (for a photon a (normalized) combination of uniparticle states).This last part (statistical enesemble of photons) assumes entanglement and measurement of energy/helicity eigenvalue would collapse the state vector into the one corresponding to the measured eigenvalue/spectral value.

Daniel.

Argh! Please not so complicated :cry:
I am not that expert in QM :rofl:

I was rather asking for simple examples like Compton-effect.

In told u,up until measurement,the energy of the photon could be any possible value allowed by the energy conservation law for the [itex] e^{-}\gamma [/itex] scattering.Once u know the final energy of the (outgoing) photon,then u can compute physical observables,as the differential (and then integral) cross-section.

Daniel.

What is Compton-scattering?

Compton-scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with an electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron and changing its direction. This process was first described by Arthur Compton in 1923.

What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which particles become correlated in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances. This means that measuring the state of one particle will automatically determine the state of the other particle.

How are Compton-scattering and entanglement related?

In the context of quantum mechanics, Compton-scattering can be seen as a form of entanglement. When a photon and electron interact, they become entangled, meaning that the state of the electron is dependent on the state of the photon. This entanglement can be observed in the form of changes in the direction and energy of the scattered photon.

What are the applications of Compton-scattering and entanglement?

Compton-scattering has many applications in fields such as medical imaging, materials science, and astronomy. Entanglement has been studied for its potential uses in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation.

How does Compton-scattering and entanglement contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Compton-scattering and entanglement are both fundamental phenomena in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. By studying and understanding these processes, we can gain a better understanding of the universe and its underlying laws and principles.