1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Scattering Experiment

1. Oct 17, 2004 #1
    Any ideas how to do this question ?

In a Compton type experiment X-rays scattered through 90 degrees suffered one percent reduction in energy.What was the incident energy of the X-rays ? You can assume that the electron coiled non-relativistically.

Any help would be really appreciated ! :smile:

Bob

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2004 #2
    Oh by the way,i used the equation :

dL=h/mc (1-cos angle)

and i got dL=2.43 E -12

Since the energy reduction is 1 % i did

hc/L-hc/L' =0.01

and L'=L+2.43 E -12

so we end up with a quadratic :

L^2 - (2.43 E -12)L-(4.83 E -35)=0

Solving I got, L= O or -2.43 E -12

Hence incident energy is hc/0 or hc/-2.43 E -12

=> energy =infinity :surprised or hc/(-2.43 E -12). :confused:

Now is this total rubbish,or am I getting somewhere ? :bugeye:

Cheers for any help !
    Bob

4. Oct 17, 2004 #3
    I believe you made an error when calculating the final energy (and hence wavelength) of the X-ray. Do it like this. The final energy of the X-ray [tex]E_f = 0.99E_i[/tex] where the i stands for "initial". Now use the Einstein relation for the energy of a photon: [tex]E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex] to figure out the relationship between the final and initial wavelengths of the X-rays. You shouldn't get any type of quadratic term in [tex]\lambda[/tex]

5. Oct 17, 2004 #4
    Thanks mate ! that was exactly my mistake.I cant believe I made that error :cry: but oh well !. :rolleyes:

Cheers again !

This world needs more people like :approve: you

6. Oct 31, 2004 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the key is to get the recoil angle of the electron. It is almost 45 degrees ([itex]tan\theta = .99[/itex]). Plug that into the Compton formula and you will get the magnitude of the wavelength change. That change represents a loss of one percent of the original energy.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?