1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Scattering in the Sun

1. Oct 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Nuclear fusion reactions at the center of the sun produce gamma - ray photons with energies of about 1 MeV (10^6 eV). By contrast, what we see emanating from the sun's surface are visible light photons with wavelengths of about 500nm. A simple model that explains this difference in wavelength is that a photon undergoes compton scattering many times, in fact 10^26 times, as suggested of the solar interior, as it travels from the center of the sun to its surface.
    Estimate the increase in wavelength of a photon in an average compton - scattering event.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not exactly sure what they mean by increase in wavelength what I did was calculate the wavelength using,
    [itex]E = \frac{ hc }{ lambda }[/itex] solving for lambda I got 1.2*10^-12m. But, I don't think it's that easy. So what is this initially asking?
    I'm thinking that it's asking for the average wavelength but not sure that lambda prime is, if I have that I can use the compton scattering equation, right?

I think I just answered my own question haha, the other wavelength is 500nm, so now I can subtract and use the compton scattering right? :P

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2014 #2
    The photon has an initial wavelength in the core of the Sun, and a final wavelength at its surface. It undergoes a given number of scattering events. What is the average change in the wavelength per event?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted