1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton scattering of photons

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    A quick question regarding compton scattering: if we consider the situation in which a photon incident on a free electron is scattered through an angle of 180 degrees, its energy essentially does not change. Since energy must be conserved, I assume this means there is no effect whatsoever on the energy, momentum, or velocity of the electron? Seems counter-intuitive somehow...

EDIT: This is only for the case that [tex]E_{\gamma} = 2m_e[/tex]

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The photon's energy certainly does change. Compton scattering is essentially elastic scattering, like billiard balls. So if a photon is back-scattered off a stationary electron, it imparts energy and momentum to the electron. So the photon loses energy, and its frequency decreases.

4. May 14, 2010 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

But that's wrong; look at the change of the wavelength as a function of the photon scattering angle

[tex]\Delta\lambda = \lambda_C(1-\cos\theta_\gamma)[/tex]

So its wavelength and therefore its energy changes!

5. May 14, 2010 #4
    Sorry, you're absolutely right. However, I'm talking about the specific case in which the photon energy [tex]E_{gamma} = 2m_e[/tex]. I should have mentioned that earlier.

6. May 14, 2010 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Can you please explain? Wavelength and energy always change.

7. May 14, 2010 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Why do you think that special case is "special"? If I look at the Klein-Nishina formula, I find:

[tex]\frac{Eout}{Ein}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{E_\gamma}{m_ec^2}(1-cos(\theta))}[/tex]

This says that in the specific case you mentioned the outgoing photon has 1/5 the energy of the incoming, no?

(Not sure why the tex in you're quote is messed up.)

8. May 14, 2010 #7
    Sure.

Initial photon energy: [tex]E = 2m_e[/tex]

So [tex]\lambda = hc/2m_e[/tex].

Using the compton formula, [tex]\lambda ' = h/m_e c(1-\cos\theta_\gamma) + \lambda [/tex], with \theta = 180:

lambda' = 2h/m_e c + hc/2m_e = h/m_e (2/c + c/2) = 2h/m_e c

EDIT: This is ridiculous. Latex refuses to work.

9. May 14, 2010 #8

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Fractions (and units)?

[tex]\frac{2}{1} + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Please check you calculations carefully.

10. May 14, 2010 #9

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I think we agree that for 180 degrees scattering angle we have

[tex]\lambda^\prime = \lambda + \lambda_C(1-\cos\theta_\gamma) = \lambda + 2\lambda_c[/tex]

Now we use

[tex]\lambda = \frac{c}{\nu} = \frac{hc}{E_\gamma} =\frac{hc}{xm_ec^2} = \frac{1}{x}\lambda_C[/tex]

where x means the fraction of the electron's rest energy. In your case x=2.

Then we get

[tex]\lambda^\prime = \frac{1}{x}\lambda_C + 2\lambda_c = \left(\frac{1}{x} + 2\right)\lambda_C[/tex]

So again: the energy always changes, even for backward scattering and your special choice of energy

11. May 14, 2010 #10
    If you shoot a photon (or laser beam) of energy Elaser head-on at a high-energy electron beam of energy

Ee = γmec2

the backscattered Compton photon energy is roughly

Ebackscatter = 4γ2 Elaser. See Eqn (2) in

http://physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/accel/aoki_nim_a516_228_04.pdf [Broken]

This is because there are two Lorentz transformations from the lab to center-of-mass coordinates and back. See Sections 37.1 and 37.2 in

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2002/kinemarpp.pdf

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. May 15, 2010 #11

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

@leonidas24: note that the usual Compton formaula is valid only for scattering in the electron's rest frame. Bob_S' experimental is different.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook