1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Scattering Question

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the maximum energy transferred to an electron during Compton Scattering is 50KeV, what is the wavelength of the incident photon?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]' - [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]_{o}[/tex] = h/(Me*c)(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    We know that the maximum energy transfer for compton scattering occurs when:
    [tex]\theta[/tex] = 180
    [tex]\phi[/tex] = 0

So when [tex]\theta[/tex]=180
    [tex]\lambda[/tex]' - [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]_{o}[/tex] = 0.00486nm

Everything I've tried looking up involves the scattered photon as well (like the momentum, energy, wavelength equations)

Any tips on where to look/where I can go next?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Apply the conservation of momentum and energy.

One has the energy of the electron, from which one can obtain the momentum.

pph = E/c
  4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    I'm still stuck at finding the momentum of the electron. I know it's going to have 50 000ev of Kinetic Energy, but I'm not sure how to relate it to momentum.
  5. Oct 14, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

One could do it either classically, e.g. p = mv and KE = 1/2 mv2 = 1/2 p2/m, where m is the rest mass, or relativistically where m = [itex]\gamma[/itex]mo, taking into account the change in mass with velocity.

50 keV is ~0.1 of the rest energy 0.511 MeV.
  6. Sep 2, 2010 #5

I can't solve this problem too!!! Please help me!!! I am taking exams next week and i 'm supposed to know what happens!!! my prof gave us a little help by saying these:

1). 1239.8/E=.... (and i think from this we have λο)
    2). ΔΕ -> Εφ=Εφ'+Εmax(e) -> 50keV=Εφ-Εφ' (where Eφ=photon's energy)
    3) θ=π since (1-cosθ)=max

Can anybody help???????
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?