1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compton Scattering

1. Dec 27, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The energy E and momentum P of a relativistic electron and energy ε and momentum p of a photon are related by:
    [tex]E^2 - P^2c^2 = m_{e}^2c^4 and \epsilon = pc[/tex]

let [tex]E_{i}, P_{i} and E_{f}, P_{f}[/tex] denote the inital and final energies and momenta of the electron, and let [tex]\epsilon_{i}, p_{i} and \epsilon_{f}, p_{f}[/tex] denote the initial and final energies and momenta of the photon. Assume the electron is initially at rest, so that [tex]E_{i} = m_{e}c^2[/tex] and [tex]P_{i} = 0[/tex], and assume that the photon is scattered through the angle [tex]\theta[/tex].

By considering the conservation of momentum show that:
    [tex]\epsilon_{i}^2 - 2\epsilon_{i}\epsilon_{f}cos\theta + \epsilon_{f}^2 = E_{f}^2 - m_{e}^2c^4[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    momentum before = momentum after

3. The attempt at a solution

initial momentum = [tex]P_{i} + p_{i} = \frac{\epsilon_{i}}{c}[/tex]
    final momentum = [tex]P_{f} + p_{f} = \sqrt{\frac{E_{f}^2-m_{e}^2c^4}{c^2}} + \frac{\epsilon_{f}}{ccos\theta}[/tex]

therefore: [tex]\frac{\epsilon_{i}}{c} = \sqrt{\frac{E_{f}^2-m_{e}^2c^4}{c^2}} + \frac{\epsilon_{f}}{ccos\theta}[/tex]

After a bit of rearranging I can get to:

[tex]\epsilon_{i}^2 - \frac{\epsilon_{f}^2}{cos^2\theta} = E_{f}^2 - m_{e}^2c^4[/tex], where the RHS is as required, but I can't rearrange the LHS to get what they want. I get the feeling I may have left a cosθ out somewhere, or that I've forgotten quite an important (yet simple) technique in here somewhere, to rearrange the LHS. I can see that it could be written as the difference of 2 squares, but I cannot see how that would help me.

Any hints appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2006 #2
    I can directly see a mistake in the way you got rid off the square root in :

[tex]\frac{\epsilon_{i}}{c} = \sqrt{\frac{E_{f}^2-m_{e}^2c^4}{c^2}} + \frac{\epsilon_{f}}{ccos\theta}[/tex]

you need to do SQUARE THIS :

[tex]\frac{\epsilon_{i}}{c} - \frac{\epsilon_{f}}{ccos\theta}= \sqrt{\frac{E_{f}^2-m_{e}^2c^4}{c^2}}[/tex]

But still, there is something wrong with the position of the cosine.

marlon

edit : beware, i did not check the entire algebra or the application of the conservation laws. I just denoted an obvious mistake :)

4. Dec 27, 2006 #3
    Oh, ok so I can't just square all the terms then? I'll give it a go and see what happens.

5. Dec 27, 2006 #4
    Yes you can, only you need to do it correctly :)

you did (A+B)²=C² --> A² + B² = C²

This is, ofcourse, wrong

marlon

6. Dec 27, 2006 #5
    So the cos is in the wrong place? Well I'll work through and see where it should go. On the top of the fraction maybe?

7. Dec 27, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Remember that the initial and final momenta are vectors.

8. Dec 27, 2006 #7
    Let's start all over.

1) apply conservation of energy

2) apply conservation of momentum

From 1) write that equation as [tex](P_f c)^2[/tex] =

From 2) we get : [tex]\vec {P_f} = \vec {p_i} - \vec {p_f} [/tex]

The trick is to write 2) as [tex](P_f c)^2[/tex] = ; so that we can get rid off the electron parameters [tex](P_f c)^2[/tex] . To do that (AND THIS IS WHERE YOU MADE YOUR MISTAKE WITH THE COSINE) you need to be aware of the fact that the momenta are VECTORS.

So [tex] (P_f c)^2 = c^2 \vec{P_f} \cdot \vec{P_f} = c^2 ( \vec {p_i} - \vec {p_f}) \cdot (\vec {p_i} - \vec {p_f}) [/tex]

THIS IS A SCALAR PRODUCT !!!

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?