• Thread starter Chowie
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I'm having difficulty with part C of this question:

t2xfo.png

Homework Equations

PJuDT.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations I correctly calculated the new wavelength of the photon after the collision and using the equations for the photon energies I calculated the energy of the photon before and after the collision to get the change in energy, which I calculated to be 380 eV (I calculated it a few times at varying degrees of accuracy at around 379.6 but the website rounds it up to 380)

Am I doing anything wrong here? Is there some relativistic stuff that I haven't accounted for or is the answer given simply wrong. I'm just using wikipedia and my textbook and it seems like 380 eV should be correct.

If I get a few people here saying that I haven't done anything wrong then I'll email my tutor and get him to change the answer.

Cheers for any replies.

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
If it's a matter of significant figures, perhaps you should round to 1 sig. fig.

I submitted a few answers which all when I clicked "my answers" came out to be the same rounded to 380

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Looks to me like you have solved this correctly, so I am thinking either a sig figs issue or possibly they want a negative number, to indicate the lower energy of the scattered photon.

If you use a more accurate wavelength change of 5.68x10-4 nm for the energy calculation, you get the 359 eV that is shown in your first figure. However, using just 1 sig fig as I suggested before the answer rounds to 400 eV.

Cr*p so I should have used the change in wavelength given to me rather than recalculating it? Bo**ocks, guess I just lost some marks. Thanks for the help, at least you helped one of my friends out who had a similar issue.

Last edited: