Compton Scattering: Difficulties with Part C

In summary, the student attempted to solve a question involving relativistic effects, but was not sure if he was doing anything wrong. After consulting with a tutor, the student determined that he had correctly calculated the change in energy for a photon after collision, but had used the wrong wavelength. If the student had used 5.68x10-4 nm for the energy calculation, he would have gotten the answer shown in his first figure, which is 359 eV.
Chowie

Homework Statement

I'm having difficulty with part C of this question:

t2xfo.png

Homework Equations

PJuDT.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations I correctly calculated the new wavelength of the photon after the collision and using the equations for the photon energies I calculated the energy of the photon before and after the collision to get the change in energy, which I calculated to be 380 eV (I calculated it a few times at varying degrees of accuracy at around 379.6 but the website rounds it up to 380)

Am I doing anything wrong here? Is there some relativistic stuff that I haven't accounted for or is the answer given simply wrong. I'm just using wikipedia and my textbook and it seems like 380 eV should be correct.

If I get a few people here saying that I haven't done anything wrong then I'll email my tutor and get him to change the answer.

Cheers for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's a matter of significant figures, perhaps you should round to 1 sig. fig.

I submitted a few answers which all when I clicked "my answers" came out to be the same rounded to 380

Looks to me like you have solved this correctly, so I am thinking either a sig figs issue or possibly they want a negative number, to indicate the lower energy of the scattered photon.

If you use a more accurate wavelength change of 5.68x10-4 nm for the energy calculation, you get the 359 eV that is shown in your first figure. However, using just 1 sig fig as I suggested before the answer rounds to 400 eV.

Cr*p so I should have used the change in wavelength given to me rather than recalculating it? Bo**ocks, guess I just lost some marks. Thanks for the help, at least you helped one of my friends out who had a similar issue.

Last edited:

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a type of interaction between a photon and an electron, in which the photon transfers some of its energy to the electron.

2. What is the importance of Compton scattering in science?

Compton scattering is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and in the study of subatomic particles.

3. What are the difficulties with Part C of Compton scattering?

Part C of Compton scattering can be difficult because it involves calculating the energy and momentum of the scattered photon and electron, which requires advanced mathematical calculations and understanding of quantum mechanics.

4. How is Compton scattering used in practical applications?

Compton scattering is used in various imaging and analysis techniques such as X-ray imaging and spectroscopy, as well as in radiation therapy for cancer treatment.

5. What are some current research topics related to Compton scattering?

Current research related to Compton scattering includes studying its role in understanding the structure of matter, developing new imaging techniques, and exploring its potential use in quantum computing.