Compton Scattering Angle Calculation

In summary: I'm not sure what the final result was, but it was within a few tenths of a nanometer.Thank you so much.
HelpPlease27

Homework Statement

A photon with wavelength 0.1385 nm scatters from an electron that is initially at rest. What must be the angle between the direction of propagation of the incident and scattered photons if the speed of the electron immediately after the collision is 9.30×106 m/s?

Homework Equations

$$\lambda' - \lambda = h/mc (1-\cos\phi)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have $$\lambda' = 0.1385 nm$$ but I'm unsure as to how to get the original wavelength so that I can use the equation stated above. I think I need to use conservation of momentum $$\overrightarrow{Pe} = \overrightarrow{p} - \overrightarrow{p'}$$ but I'm not really sure how to apply it.

Physics news on Phys.org
HelpPlease27 said:

Homework Statement

A photon with wavelength 0.1385 nm scatters from an electron that is initially at rest. What must be the angle between the direction of propagation of the incident and scattered photons if the speed of the electron immediately after the collision is 9.30×106 m/s?

Homework Equations

$$\lambda' - \lambda = h/mc (1-\cos\phi)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have $$\lambda' = 0.1385 nm$$ but I'm unsure as to how to get the original wavelength so that I can use the equation stated above. I think I need to use conservation of momentum $$\overrightarrow{Pe} = \overrightarrow{p} - \overrightarrow{p'}$$ but I'm not really sure how to apply it.

Why momentum?

HelpPlease27 said:
but I'm unsure as to how to get the original wavelength
What do you think the statement below means?
HelpPlease27 said:
A photon with wavelength 0.1385 nm scatters from ...

kuruman said:
What do you think the statement below means?

I assumed it meant the scattered wavelength but is it the original wavelength and I need to find the scattered wavelength?

PeroK said:
Why momentum?

I can use it to get the wavelength I need because for the photons $$p=h/\lambda$$

HelpPlease27 said:
I can use it to get the wavelength I need because for the photons $$p=h/\lambda$$

I just thought there might be a quicker way without worrying about momentum.

PeroK said:
I just thought there might be a quicker way without worrying about momentum.

Can I use that the kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2 with m = mass of an electron(?) and the v = 9.3 * 10 ^6 m/s. Then the wavelength is just h/sqrt(2*E*m)?

HelpPlease27 said:
Can I use that the kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2 with m = mass of an electron(?) and the v = 9.3 * 10 ^6 m/s. Then the wavelength is just h/sqrt(2*E*m)?

Using energy sounds better. If you need the wavelength to four significant figures, then is the electron's speed relativistic or not?

PeroK said:
Using energy sounds better. If you need the wavelength to four significant figures, then is the electron's speed relativistic or not?

Yea, it would be so for energy I need to use K = mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) - mc^2 ?

HelpPlease27 said:
Yea, it would be so for energy I need to use K = mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) - mc^2 ?

This is perhaps a good example where you should solve the problem algebraically and then, once you see how ##K## appears in the relationship for ##\cos \phi## you can make a decision on how to calculate ##K##. You could do it for both and see what difference it makes.

PeroK said:
This is perhaps a good example where you should solve the problem algebraically and then, once you see how ##K## appears in the relationship for ##\cos \phi## you can make a decision on how to calculate ##K##. You could do it for both and see what difference it makes.

I did it for both and the difference is small so I guess either works. I got $$\lambda = 7.79*10^-11$$ and when I used this in the equation I can't get it to work. It worked out to be $$\cos\phi = -23.99$$, which doesn't work

HelpPlease27 said:
I did it for both and the difference is small so I guess either works. I got $$\lambda = 7.79*10^-11$$ and when I used this in the equation I can't get it to work. It worked out to be $$\cos\phi = -23.99$$, which doesn't work

That value for ##\lambda'## might be wrong. Notice also that ##\lambda## is the original wavelength.

PS I make it that the difference between classical are relativistic KE makes a difference of 0.1 degrees!

PeroK said:
That value for ##\lambda'## might be wrong. Notice also that ##\lambda## is the original wavelength.

PS I make it that the difference between classical are relativistic KE makes a difference of 0.1 degrees!

I'm still not getting it to work. I'm now getting $$\lambda' = 1.715*10^-12$$

HelpPlease27 said:
I'm still not getting it to work. I'm now getting $$\lambda' = 1.715*10^-12$$

I'm going to bed now, but perhaps someone else can pick this up.

How did you get ##\lambda'##?

To help you a bit, did you get:

##\frac{1}{\lambda'} = \frac{1}{\lambda} - \frac{K}{hc}##?

PeroK said:
I'm going to bed now, but perhaps someone else can pick this up.

How did you get ##\lambda'##?

To help you a bit, did you get:

##\frac{1}{\lambda'} = \frac{1}{\lambda} - \frac{K}{hc}##?

Thank you so much. I finally got it to work.

1. What is Compton Scattering Angle Calculation?

Compton Scattering Angle Calculation is a mathematical formula used to determine the angle at which a photon is scattered after interacting with a charged particle, such as an electron.

2. How is Compton Scattering Angle Calculation used in scientific research?

Compton Scattering Angle Calculation is used in various fields of science, such as particle physics and astrophysics, to study the interaction between photons and charged particles. It helps researchers understand the properties of particles and their behavior in different environments.

3. What factors affect the Compton Scattering Angle Calculation?

The Compton Scattering Angle Calculation is affected by the energy of the incoming photon, the mass of the charged particle, and the angle at which the photon and particle collide.

4. Can Compton Scattering Angle Calculation be used to measure the mass of a particle?

Yes, Compton Scattering Angle Calculation can be used to measure the mass of a particle by analyzing the energy and angle of the scattered photon. This method is often used in particle accelerators to determine the mass of newly discovered particles.

5. Are there any limitations to the accuracy of Compton Scattering Angle Calculation?

Yes, there are limitations to the accuracy of Compton Scattering Angle Calculation. Factors such as experimental uncertainties and the complexity of the interaction can affect the precision of the calculation. However, with advanced technology and techniques, scientists are constantly improving the accuracy of this calculation.