Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compulsory voting

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1
    Question: Do you think the USA would be better served by a compulsory voting system, such as is employed in Australia?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2
    I don't know... I would have to research the topic. Compulsory voting would benefit my party, but I don't know anything else than that.

4. Apr 15, 2004 #3
    Absolutely not.
    Requiring someone to show up at the poll is not the same as requiring them to educate themselves before hand.

Drafting makes for a weak army because of the mindset of those that are there when they don't want to be, and compulsory voting does the same.

On this whole topic, does Australia not have an opt out option at the poll? Where you can choose not to vote?

5. Apr 15, 2004 #4
    are you required to vote in some party's primary?

6. Apr 15, 2004 #5
    Our electoral system is not at all like the USA's. We all show up at voting stations on the day, and cast a vote either for a party or for individuals (sort of). You can choose to not show up, but then you get a small fine. That's about it really.

7. Apr 15, 2004 #6
    Ah yes, my mistake - I'm assuming, more or less, a government almost identical to that of England then?

8. Apr 15, 2004 #7
    Well, sort of, yes. After all, they did create ours. Sort of.

9. Apr 15, 2004 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?