1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compund microscope problem

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The barrel of a compound microscope is 14.8 cm in length. The specimen will be mounted 1.03 cm from the objective, and the eyepiece has a 4.92 cm focal length. Determine the focal length of the objective lens

2. Relevant equations
    (1/Do)+(1/Di)= (1/f)

3. The attempt at a solution
    what did was i added 1.03 with 13.8 to get the distance of object from the eye piece. then i plugged the numbers in the equation ( with the focal point of the eye piece) to get the distance of the image from the eyepiece. then i used the image distance i got and subtracted it from the 14.8 to get the image distance from the objective lense to the image and i plugged in to solve for f. but my answer comes down to be .99 cm which is wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi thundercats! :smile:

I can't really tell what you did without seeing your equations …

but you don't seem to have used the position of the intermediate image. :confused:

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    i think i see what you are saying but now im more confused. this is how i have started to set it up again. what i dont seem to understand is how to use the 14.8 which is the lenght of the barrel. im not sure if im suppose to use it to find Df (distance of final image)or something
    (1/1.03)+(1/Di1)=(1/F1)
    (1/Di1)+(1/Df)=(1/4.92)

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

14.8 is the sum of two of the distances. :smile:

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5
    hmm. by saying its the sum of the two distances im assuming ur saying that its the distance between the two lenses of the compund microscope so i guess i can plug that into my 2nd equation making it look like this
    (1/Di1)+(1/14.8-Di1)=(1/4.92)
    am i close :D. by the way how do u know to reply back to my posts i was just wondering :D

7. Feb 9, 2009 #6
    there is still something wrong with it i cant figure out what i was thinking maybe the sign has to be negetive since the final image is going to be to the left of the second lens meaning
    (1/Di1)-(1/14.8-Di)=(1/4.92)

8. Feb 10, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just got up … :zzz:
    That's right. :smile:

It should work … show us what you got.

(everyone gets email notification of any thread they've posted in :wink:)

9. Feb 10, 2009 #8
    ur da man thnx for ur help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook