Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computation of homology group

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I am reading the book on algebraic topology by Fulton and the geometric intusion that is supposed to be given for homological group is the number of connected components.

I wanted to understand an example.

For a circle ( S1) which has got 2 points say A at ( 1, 0) and another point B at ( - 1, 0) is the calculation of the Homology group in the following way

[tex]\stackrel{ a + b }{a -b }[/tex] where a and b are the two generators along the upper half plane and the lower half plane. Then is the result 2a or 2b ie 2*Z.

Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2
    Are you interested in H_o(X,G) , the 0-th homological group.?. In that case, the homology
    group (working with coefficients from an Abelian group G) is given by kG, where k is the
    number of path-connected components, i.e

Ho(X;G)=G(+)G(+)...(+)G , k copies.

The issues as a I see it, is that , in each path-component, a single point generates
    the full Ho(X;G), since the only possible boundaries are paths, and there is, by assumption,
    a path between any two points.

Expanding: consider a path-connected component X1 , and let x1 be a point
    in X1. Then x1 itself generates all the 0-th homology: let x1' =/ x1 in x1. Then there
    is a path p(t) between x1 and x1' in X1 .
    This means that either x1-x1' or x1'-x1 is the boundary of p(t) (basically, the paths
    are the only 1-dimensional objects that are/can be bounded by the points in H_o(X1,G)
    You can easily see that there can be no other homology classes in X1; given any other
    point x1'' in X1, x1-x1'' or x1''-x1 are a boundary of this path. This means that every
    point in X1 is homologous to x1.

Same goes for any connected component.

HTH.

4. Apr 20, 2010 #3
    I also don't know how Fulton's book lays out the homology groups.

5. Apr 20, 2010 #4
    Just from the definitions,

[tex]H_0(X;\mathbb{Z}) [/tex]

is defined as the closed 0-chains (every 0-chain is closed) modulo the boundaries (i.e. beginning and end points of maps of the interval into X). In our case (where I don't draw a distinction between connected and path-connected), two points a and b lie in the same connected component if and only they can be connected by a path

[tex]\gamma: [0,1] \rightarrow X [/tex]

Hence a and b are homologous if and only if

[tex]b-a = \partial (\gamma) [/tex].

It follows therefore that the zeroth homology group is freely generated by the homology class of a point selected from each connected component.

6. Apr 21, 2010 #5
    Re: computation of homology group. Meaning of H_n(X,Z)

Just Curious:

It is straightforward to interpret the meaning of either (X an n-manifold, Z=integers.):

H0(X,Z)=kG , or Hn(X,Z)=Z (assume for now G has no torsion

o.wise use Universal Coeff. Thm.) .

First tells us that X has k path components, and last tells us that X is orientable.

How would we interpret , tho, H1(X;Z) =Z (or something else;

obviously, n>1 here.).?. I guess , Z being Abelian, we can also conclude (Hurewicz)

that Pin=Z too.

Otherwise , AFAIK, Hn measures "k-connectedness" . Anyone have

any comments on this.?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook