Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computation similar to the (real) zeta function

1. Jul 10, 2007 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm trying to get a numerical approximation for a complicated sum, and I'm currently trying to estimate the size of the infinite right tail. Actually I'm doing the sum in three parts: an 'exact' (well, 100 digit floating point) calculation for the first portion, a calculation involving an algebraic approximation of the natural log* for a portion 3-4 times as large, and then an estimate for the tail.

In the limit, the function I'm summing varies as x^-8, so my natural thought was to use some variation on [itex]\zeta(8)[/itex] since there are good algorithms written for this -- and since I'm using Pari which has one built in. The trouble is that I need to sum not from 1 but from a hundred thousand or so. Subtracting out everything less than it will sap the precision too low to be useful (I would think).

Are there any analytic tools I can use here?

* The natural log is the most expensive part of the calculation, and the quantity I'm taking the log of varies as 1-1/x^2 so I'm using the approximation
    [tex]\ln(1+\alpha)\approx\frac{\alpha}{1+\alpha/2}+\frac{\alpha^3}{12(\alpha+1)}[/tex]
    which is within [itex]\mathcal{O}(\alpha^4)[/itex] of the true answer as [itex]\alpha\to0[/itex].

Edit: Oops, stupid me. I'm trying the obvious solution now, we'll see if it works.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted