1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Geometry Help

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1
    Why is a Milk Carton an example of a nonconvex polyhedron such that the sum of the face angles around each vertex is no more than 360 degrees.
    - I dont know how a milk carton qualifies as a nonconvex polyhedron. isn't every face a convex polygon????

Is it possible to have a polyhedron with 7 edges? Why or why not?
    - I suspect it's not possible, but I can't 100% justify why not. I tried arguing that it's impossible to have a polyhedron with 7 edges because every face must be a polygon, but i dont know how to finish that statement.

Given a vertice v and a winged edge data structure, describe how to create a sorted list of all edges incident to v.
    - ???
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, every face is a convex polygon- that's not relevant to the carton itself being a non-convex polyhedron. Look at the top, where you open it to form a spout- that parts goes into the polyhedron so it is not convex.

Do you know Euler's formula? For a simply connected (no holes through it) polyhedron, the number of faces, minus the number of edges, plus the number of vertices = 2. The simplest polyhedron, a tetrahedron, has 4 faces, 6 edges, 4 vertices: 4- 6+ 4= 2. If you add one more edge, for Euler's formula to stay true, you would have to add either a vertex or a face but not both! Can you do that?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?