1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Materials

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I'm currently a senior studying chemical engineering. I'll be graduating this December. I am greatly interested in pursuing a PhD in materials science, and I am looking for programs that include an emphasis in computational materials (e.g. simulation of atomic structures). I am self-studying quantum mechanics from Griffiths, and I am loving every minute of it. I bring this up as quantum mechanics supplies the groundwork in modeling atomic structures (as in density functional theory).

My questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have some good resources on learning more about the field of computational materials? A list of topics for me to research perhaps?

2) What schools have notable materials science programs that emphasize mathematical modeling of materials?

3) What sort of coding ability would I need to pursue this field? I have a basic proficiency in using Python, and I am looking into Fortran 90. I am experienced in Matlab and Comsol as well. I've dabbled in Mathematica.

I appreciate the help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted