1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Math/Physics

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    I am an undergraduate physics and applied math major in his junior year, and it is about time for me to start seriously researching graduate programs.

I have had some experience in the lab, enough to know that I would rather not be an experimentalist in some field like condensed matter. At the same time, while theory appeals to me, I don't feel that it the right path to take.

My main interests are applied math and physics, but I am also very interested in computation. I have heard of graduate programs in computational math and computational physics, but I have only a hazy idea of what is involved in each.

One of the things I like about physics is how "academic" it feels, as a course of study. Engineering didn't appeal to me, because it seemed too uninvolved with the math and physics behind it. On the other hand, over the summer I worked on a physics research project that was mostly computational. It involved some computational geometry and neural networks. I especially enjoyed learning some of the theory behind neural nets, and then being able to apply it to the problem at hand (image analysis). I am thinking that this sort of thing is what I want to do in graduate school.

So, I have a few questions about computational math/physics that I am hoping someone could answer:

1) Is there a difference between computational math / computational physics / computational science? I have heard all of these phrases used, sometimes interchangeably.

2) A physics PhD has the option of staying in academia and becoming a professor. I don't know of many courses in computational science, however, so are there options in academia for someone with a computational degree, or will I be expected to go into industry?

3) I am a physics major foremost, and my applied math degree is just a by-product of having taken some additional interesting classes. That said, I haven't taken any "pure" math classes, like analysis or abstract algebra (though I have taken advanced linear algebra). In applying to, say, a computational mathematics program, am I at a disadvantage? Is it likely that I will need to take the math GRE?

4) What are some good computational graduate programs?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted