Computational Physics after high school

In summary, Computational Physics is a field of physics that deals with numerical modelling and computer codes. It is important to know physics intimately in order to do good work in this field.
PhysicsMajor
I am senior in college and I will be graduating in May 2005. I am about to complete my undergrad in Engineering Physics but I decided that I wanted to go more into the I.T. field for grad school since I have decided that I don't think I want to do physics. I researched a field call Computational Physics and I was wondering does anybody know exactly what it is and what it deals with as far as computers go.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsMajor said:
I am senior in college and I will be graduating in May 2005. I am about to complete my undergrad in Engineering Physics but I decided that I wanted to go more into the I.T. field for grad school since I have decided that I don't think I want to do physics. I researched a field call Computational Physics and I was wondering does anybody know exactly what it is and what it deals with as far as computers go.

Thanks

As far as I know Computational Physics deals with Physics numerical modelling, I think. Surely you'll have to acquire a solid basis on numerical calculus and its application to physics events.

For instance, there are many people from Computational Physics who do research in Computational Fluid Dynamics.

Yeah, numerical solutions of PDEs, integral equations ... , using finite element, finite difference, meshless, etc. discretization methods. Advanced knowledge on PDEs is a must, most places have tailored courses for the methods themselves (numerical calc is a good beginner for all that). Knowing the physics of what modeling in depth is crucial as well (and differentiates great and not as great computational guys), and lots of the work is coding so that needs to be in good order as well.

PerennialII said:
Yeah, numerical solutions of PDEs, integral equations ... , using finite element, finite difference, meshless, etc. discretization methods. Advanced knowledge on PDEs is a must, most places have tailored courses for the methods themselves (numerical calc is a good beginner for all that). Knowing the physics of what modeling in depth is crucial as well (and differentiates great and not as great computational guys), and lots of the work is coding so that needs to be in good order as well.

Perennial gave a very good list, and I would add to that, in particular, the knowledge of the monte carlo (or quantum monte carlo) technique. Practically anything dealing with analysis of particle colliders (which typically employs a huge number of computational physicists) will deal with this technique.

The other important point that Perennial brought up is that you MUST know physics intimately. If you look at the job listings that I have mentioned before, practically all jobs involving computational work are looking first and foremost, physicists that can write computer codes, rather than computer science majors who happened to know physics. In many cases, it is you who have to come up with the theoretical model to use, and then write codes for that. To be able to do the former, you have to know the physics.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Perennial gave a very good list, and I would add to that, in particular, the knowledge of the monte carlo (or quantum monte carlo) technique. Practically anything dealing with analysis of particle colliders (which typically employs a huge number of computational physicists) will deal with this technique.

The other important point that Perennial brought up is that you MUST know physics intimately. If you look at the job listings that I have mentioned before, practically all jobs involving computational work are looking first and foremost, physicists that can write computer codes, rather than computer science majors who happened to know physics. In many cases, it is you who have to come up with the theoretical model to use, and then write codes for that. To be able to do the former, you have to know the physics.

Zz.

I'm seeing the latter chapter as a "typical day in the life of a computational physicist". To further emphasize - stochastic & probabilistic methods are increasingly being applied even in fields of (computational) physics previously working in pretty much a deterministic world (unification over length scales progresses) ... and I feel these are easier to master early on, it has proven tough for many to turn their heads away from the deterministic ways of thinking once getting too accustomed to it.

PhysicsMajor said:

Thanks

Computational Physics is NOT an IT field.

As others have said, its physics research done by computer simulation. You're a physicist first, programmer and computer scientist second.

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in Computational Physics?

There are various career paths available for individuals with a degree in Computational Physics. You could pursue a career in research and development in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or engineering. You could also work in industries such as technology, finance, or healthcare where computational skills are highly valued. Other options include teaching, consulting, or working for government agencies.

2. What skills are important for someone interested in pursuing Computational Physics?

Some important skills for someone interested in Computational Physics include a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving abilities, programming skills, and an understanding of physical principles. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also crucial for success in this field.

3. What are some key topics covered in a Computational Physics program?

A Computational Physics program covers a wide range of topics including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and computational methods. Other important topics may include numerical analysis, data analysis, and computer programming languages such as Python, C++, or Fortran.

4. How is Computational Physics used in real-world applications?

Computational Physics is used in a variety of real-world applications, from simulating physical systems to solving complex mathematical equations. It is used in fields such as weather forecasting, material science, fluid dynamics, and particle physics. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and renewable energy to improve designs and optimize processes.

5. What are the benefits of studying Computational Physics after high school?

Studying Computational Physics after high school can provide you with a strong foundation in both physics and computer science, making you highly employable in a variety of industries. It also allows you to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and programming skills, which are valuable in any career. Additionally, studying Computational Physics can open up opportunities for further education and research in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and data science.