1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Physics Major?

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    Hello, I really want a major in Computation Physics but I don't think my University has a class. Should I instead go into a double major in Computer Science & Physics? Or should I go into physics at all? I live in Iowa so it's not the best location for jobs in physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For your undergraduate studies it's usually best not to specialize too early. Most physics programs will have some kind of introduction to computational methods course. If you couple that with a computational thesis project and take courses from the computer science department as needed that should be sufficient to get you where you want to be.

You can double major if you want, but the consequences are that you could end up taking some courses you don't want to take just to meet the degree requirement and you'll have less room for other electives. Look at the specific coursework that's involved and see if the second major fits with the stuff you think you'll enjoy learning about. On the "pro" side, more computer science courses may open up more doors in the working world for you, once you leave academia.

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3
    Choppy has given excellent advice. Somehow clicking the LIKE button was not enough. I heartily second what he said!

5. Jun 9, 2017 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If that is so, I will click the LIKE button myself, just for you!

6. Jun 18, 2017 #5

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A good option would be to do a minor in computer science. There may also be a concentration within the major (other example would be chemical physics, biophysics, etc.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted