Comparing Computational Physics PhD Programs: CMU vs. Harvard, Chicago, and UIUC

In summary: CMU/Pittsburgh have a joint program which would also give you access to the Pitt faculty. Thanks for your input.
Aniket1
My interests are mainly computational physics and theoretical soft matter physics. How good is the PhD program in (Computational) Physics at CMU (and the Physics Department in general)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
CMU is Carnegie Mellon University?
Yes

Computational biology often includes biophysics and their computational biology is extremely good. Biophysics and soft-matter are somewhat related too.

I know it's not precisely the information you were looking for but it's a start. CMU and Pitt also have a joint program in comp bio, I don't know if they have a joint program in theoretical physics but Pitt is also very good at comp bio.

Arsenic&Lace said:
Computational biology often includes biophysics and their computational biology is extremely good. Biophysics and soft-matter are somewhat related too.

I know it's not precisely the information you were looking for but it's a start. CMU and Pitt also have a joint program in comp bio, I don't know if they have a joint program in theoretical physics but Pitt is also very good at comp bio.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Could you please tell me how does this program compare to computational biophysics programs in universities like Harvard, University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne?

CMU has a LOT of opportunities to get involved in research at their school. You don't have to worry about getting into an REU in the summer because there are good opportunities right in Pittsburgh. Not to mention Pittsburgh is just a really nice place (my hometown), and CMU's campus is just really vibrant and full of neat projects students have committed to to make the place shine. Their Computer Science program is number 1 in the country for a reason-they REALLY invest in their students. Other schools may be the same, but I'd rather live in Pittsburgh than Boston or Chicago any day. Hope that helped.

Aniket1 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply. Could you please tell me how does this program compare to computational biophysics programs in universities like Harvard, University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne?
All I can tell you is I honestly had no interest in working with anybody whose work I looked at when I looked at Chicago and UIUC. In the former case, the people whose work interested me were widely reported to be jerks, and in the latter case the people whose work was interesting to me were retiring, but you really need to shop around and look at the professors and their research yourself. CMU/Pittsburgh have a joint program which would also give you access to the Pitt faculty.

1. What is Computational Physics?

Computational Physics is an interdisciplinary field that combines physics, mathematics, and computer science to study and solve complex problems in physics using computational methods and simulations.

2. What are the requirements for a PhD in Computational Physics at CMU?

The requirements for a PhD in Computational Physics at CMU include completing coursework in physics, mathematics, and computer science, conducting independent research, and defending a dissertation. Applicants must also have a strong undergraduate background in physics, mathematics, and computer science.

3. What research opportunities are available for PhD students in Computational Physics at CMU?

PhD students in Computational Physics at CMU have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects in a variety of areas, such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, quantum mechanics, and biophysics. CMU also has collaborations with other universities and research institutions, providing students with even more research opportunities.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a PhD in Computational Physics from CMU?

Graduates with a PhD in Computational Physics from CMU have a wide range of career options, including positions in academia, industry, and government. They can work as research scientists, data analysts, software developers, or consultants in fields such as physics, astronomy, biotechnology, and finance.

5. How does the Computational Physics program at CMU prepare students for their future careers?

The Computational Physics program at CMU provides students with a strong foundation in both theoretical and computational physics, as well as hands-on experience with advanced computational techniques and software. Students also have the opportunity to work on research projects and collaborate with faculty and other students, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in any career in physics.