1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Physics - Scaling

1. Jan 8, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I am not sure if I'm posting on the right place. I am currently working on a computational project. It's about simulating a system with two non-test masses and a bunch of test masses. The instruction sheet says that we should "scale the problem carefully by setting the units such that the non-test masses have a mass of 1 and G, the universal gravitation constant, equals 1."

The lecturer did a bad job explaining what scaling really is, and I am not sure what exactly I should do concerning scaling here. Could someone give me a hand?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you write doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If you had one mass, you could certainly choose ITS mass as the "unit of mass" and so it would have mass 1- you would then "scale" by dividing all other masses by the "unit" mass.

However, if you have "two non-test masses", unless they are both the same mass, obviously you can't have both with mass 1.

Once you have selected a given unit of mass, setting G (I presume you don't mean "g") equal to 1 is a matter of choosing an appropriate distance measure.

4. Jan 8, 2005 #3
    HallsofIvy,

Thank you for your help, I have been desperately looking for reply.

First of all, you are right that the two non-test masses have equal masses. I am not sure why you commented that "obviously you can't have both with mass 1".

And after having selected a given unit of mass, setting G equal to 1 is "a matter of choosing an appropriate distance measure" as you mentioned. To be explicit, I have two questions:

1. Do I need to 'scale' both distance and time?
    2. Is it true that I have to divide distance by the sqrt of G in order to scale it?

Many thanks!

5. Jan 8, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You said you had two "non-test masses". You didn't say they were the same. What exactly IS a "non-test mass"??
    G has units of [itex]\frac{m^3}{(kg)(sec^2)} Yes, you will need to scale all of them. The point is choosing each of those so that G is 1.

6. Jan 8, 2005 #5
    When I said 'test mass' I mean that they will not exert any gravitational attraction onto the other test/non-test masses (they of course REACT to the attraction of the non-test masses). So you can say that there are only two sources of gravitational attraction.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?