1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Physics

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    Hi All. I'm an engineering student switching over to physics. I was wondering what would be some of the courses that I would have to take if I wanted to get proficient at crudely modeling physical phenomenon...e.g collapse of a proto solar disk...formation of planets, impacts of comets etc...

Here is the list of courses:

http://www.ucalendar.uwaterloo.ca/0809/COURSE/course-PHYS.html" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take as many of the Physics courses as you can. As for the others, the applied computing courses are as much a plus. The differential equations modeling course looked interesting.

My PhD is in computational modeling in semiconductors, I took exactly one Fortran course and learned the rest on my own.

If you have the drive, you'll learn what you need to know and if and when you go to grad school, you'll learn by doing, not just coursework.

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks Dr. Transport :) Yeah I was wondering the same thing. That course is definitely on my to do list. Just a couple more terms :D

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4
    Hello everyone,

I'm having a doubt with my Physics homework. I need somebody's help!!!

To find the force exerted by the rope on a bucket of water that is raised from a well I have to find the normal force (m*A upward accelaration of the bucket) and that is the one or I should find the force of gravity (m*G) and substracted from the normal force and that is the force exerted by the rope?

Thankss

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook