1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computational Physics

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    Do universities offer both as a mixed program?

Or do I have to major in one and minor in the other?

If it would help, I'm in Toronto Canada.

Thank you. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    Do you mean major in physics and minor in... computer science?

In any event, some universities have bachelors in physics with a specialization in computational physics/method/whatever it is.

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    I've seen some schools offer a BS or a 5 year BS/MS degree. From what I've researched it looks like you miss out on some of the higher level physics courses to make room for some of the computer science courses. The school I'm doing offers an emphasis in it so I'll take all my physics courses with a few extra ones from the math and computer science deparment. I've decided to major in physics with the emphasis in computational physics, and a double major in applied math. Also I'm taking extra computer science courses than what's required so that I could be better prepared for it in grad school.

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4
    Geez... how many years is this taking you? I am also interested in computational sciences. I'm going the engineering BS route as I would like to keep my options open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook